Nutter question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:24 PM
MaineJeep

Nutter question

What does the stock computer do to the ignition? I've heard it only retards timing if the knock sensor tells it to, but if that's true, then it seems like the Nutter bypass would do nothing.

Also, does anyone know the timing procedure and specs for an 87 YJ 258 with auto trans? I have no manual or under hood label, and I've heard 800 Rpm in gear and 1600 rpms with the vacume advance plugged, and unplugged, anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Nutter question

This is deja vu all over again (you'll see what I mean), but I'll answer your question here, also. Timing should be 9 degrees (+/- 2) at 1600 RPM. That is with the vacuum advance disconnected and vacuum line plugged. Regarding the nutter bypass, I think you're right--the ability to retard your timing in certain situations (all of which I'm not sure of--they're encoded in the computer's little brain) is eliminated, but more than anything, it meant that I could remove all of those wires and hoses from the engine compartment, making maintenance MUCH easier. I've also increased my timing to 10-degrees at IDLE for a lot more "kick" without the worries of the computer trying to "correct" it (does require premium fuel, 89 octane is good for 8-degrees in my experience).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Official Historian

Re: Nutter question

And why don't you have a manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode