Axle Seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle Seals

I have an 85 CJ with Dana 30/44 axles/housing. I would like to replace the seals as there is fuild leaking from the ends. I have also picked up from the trail a squeeking noise that seems to be coming from the tires/axles. Is there a cut and dry procedure for this project (seal replacement) or does anyone have other suggestions of a possible fix? All replies welcome, thanks in advance!

CJ More

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Axle Seals

If you have leaks there isn't any Mickey Mouse® fixes. Replace the seals or risk serious axle assembly damage. The front seals reguire the removal of the shafts and carrier. The rear reguires the removal of the shafts.

<font color=red>jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250
</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are there detailed instructions in like Chilton's Manual? Is pretty much straight foreward? Are there any special tools required? And thanks for the imput!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've replaced the rear axle outer seals on my 84CJ AMC 20 when it started to leak fluid into the brakes. It was pretty straightforward since the hub pulls of the axle, install seal, reinstall hub (I guess that's the only advantage to a 2 piece axle). However, my 86CJ has the Dana 44 rear axle and I guess sonner or later I'll be doing the same job on it...I can't find a repair manual that lists the D44 for '86, all I've found is a schematic in the Quadratec catalog. I am unsure about the seal replacement because a while back I read somewhere in this forum that the bearings are grease packed?...I think that's wrong, as the schematic shows an outer seal and bearings inboard of the outer seal. My guess is that the one piece axle has to be pulled to replace the seal.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have Haynes and Clymer manuals, I'm not familiar with the Chiltons. It should give the info you need. If it doesn't........don't buy it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The front is time consuming because of all the parts that need to be removed. It isn't too difficult if you have the necessary tools. Some assemblies require a case spreader to remove the carrier. Mine just popped out by hand.

I haven't done the rear. I'm familiar with the procedure for the AMC Model 20, but not the Dana 44. Shouldn't be too difficult though.

Check out a few different manuals and see if it's something you want to tackle. You can always get more help here if you get stuck or are unsure of something.

<font color=red>P.S. I ripped my front carrier in half because I waited too long to replace leaking seals and the case filled with water.</font color=red>

<font color=red>jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250
</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the feed back I will let you all know about it after this weekend! That rear 44 should be some fun. I'm looking forward to turning the wrench!
Thanks Again
CJ More

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only problem I had when replacing the seal on my AMC20 was removing the shaft. I used a tow rope on my hi-lift jack to pull it out. I also tapped the shaft inwards a few times. I placed the rope around the hub and the jack horizontally to the floor. Placed the base of the jack onto the frame (area behind the back plate) and attached the rope to the jack and started to lift. It popped right out.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

John C.

[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 03:34 PM

In the DANA 44 there are two seals one keeps the gear oil from getting to the bearings. The second keeps the wheel bearing grease from getting on the brakes.
If your finding oil on your tires then the inner seal has failed. The outer seal usually and I say usually is not capable of retaining the oil because it is thinner than the wheel bearing grese. Understand?
To replace the inner seal you just need to pull the axel.
To replace the outer seal you need to have and bearing pressed off.
Clintons books are no good. Find a Haynes manual $20 at pep boys or other stores.
Good luck

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cj, I've done both, the front..... well you'l be doing a good bit of wrenching but it's fun, and not hard, make sure you clean the axle tube out while your at it. The Dana 44 is real easy job, the only hard part is getting the outer seal off and on, you will need to use a press, and while your at it you might want to replace your outer wheel bearings, if your seals are bad I bet you got some crud in your bearings too.
Helpful hint; get a good shop manual and DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME, if you get in trouble you can look at the other side to get you back on track.
Good Luck
wsm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode