3" body lifts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 03:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

3\" body lifts?

Hello all,
I am brand new to this board, and I would like to say "hello" to all the other Jeep members out there. I have a small question concerning body lifts. I have 32" BFG's installed, and I'm thinking of putting on a 3" body lift. But I've heard that 2" is the recommended max amount. Would 3" be too much? I haven't got a suspension lift yet, but it's in the works. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:47 AM
sas87yj

Re: 3\" body lifts?

get the susp lift
3" too much- fatigues the tub and un-safe in my opinion
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 07:07 AM
Can't Get Enough

Suspension lift is the preferred method to go in my opinion. However, I have a 3" body lift on a fiberglass tub. I've had it for 4 years (previous owner installed it) and no troubles at all so far. I don't think that it fatiques anything too much. I'm sure that alot of people who don't have 3" body lifts will disagree. I personally don't recommend them because I don't like the way it looks with one. Mine is coming off when I go SOA, but not because of fatiqueing or unsafe, because of looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:39 AM

i also have a 3 inch body lift ... i like it, no promlems so far. and it helps keep the center of gravity lower then going with all suspension lift. my 2 cents
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I had a 3" body lift on my glass tub when I bought it. I took it out and bounced it around on some trails last year and cracked the front tub mount, I then reinforsed the front tub mounts with steel plates and ditched the body lift for some rubber pucks. I was amazed at how much better the handleing was. It was amazing the body roll you get from a 3" body lift. from my experience, I'd advise against them, but that's me.

Brent
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:17 AM

I have a 3" body lift on the original steel tub and ran it for many years. Between too stiff of suspension and that blankity blank body lift it has cost me a whole lotta money. Broken body mounts, torn body mounts, stuff constantly not lining up. I even checked mine on occasion for loose bolts and what not. 3" is too much for off road stuff. 2" max. Look at the cost in the long run , not short.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome!
I first installed a 3 inch body lift after a 3inch suspension lift. What a crock-O-crap it was. My buddys called it the "Hollow Jeep" because you could see thru it. It felt like it had body roll. I replaced it with a 1 inch body lift 3 days later and it made a big difference. I still get a little fender rub in some situations with 33x12.5's. If it starts to chew the tires up, I will go to a 2 inch.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 12:22 PM
Veteran

never had a body lift on any of my jeeps, but i was thinking about doing the daystar 1" combo urethane body mounts. personally i think that any body lift more than 1-2 inches looks dumb. i did have the daystar urethane mounts on my first 78 and they made a big diff from the rubber mounts (may have had something to do with the fact that the original mounts were pretty much gone) so i figure the ones with the 1" incorporated cant be all that bad, but well see. if you cant do it RIGHT now, then wait until you CAN afford to do it right. it doesnt take much $$ to get some more wheel clearance (roll the fenders, etc) and that still keeps your COG lower. my $.047 (inflation)

-web
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 02:44 PM
Addict

nay on the body lift. Ive got a 3" on my CJ steel tub, and the spacers have punch throught the floor in the back. I'll also take the higher center of gravity of a suspension lift over the body roll any day... Lets just say i cant wait until i get the suspension lift. good bye body lift, though Ill prolly get a 1" lift. I dont foresee any problems with that.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Don, looks like your going with a 2" on this one....so when are we going mountain biking again? Let me know when you get the body lift and I'll help you throw it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode