T98 to buick 231 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T98 to buick 231

I am trying to find out which stock bellhousing I need to adapt a T98 to a buick 231 evenfire. Ideally I need to know what vehicles I might find it in & which tranny/engine combo's it came with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: T98 to buick 231

In the late 60s and up to 1971, you could get a T-98/T-18 from the factory with the Buick 225 in a CJ. I'm pretty sure they
used a standard BOP bellhousing an adapter between the bellhousing and the front of the transmission. Your best bet
would be to find one of these Jeeps and use the parts from it. I think Advance Adapters also sells these adapters in
various thicknesses depending on the length of the input shaft on your T-18.

Jim Kyser
[email protected]
1946 Willys CJ-2A
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the adapter plate (steel, 1" thick). I just am trying to find what the bellhousing was & where else it might have been used. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an original bellhousing from a CJ with a Buick V6 and a T-86 3-speed. I can measure the distance between the
mounting holes if that would help you. I would also let you have it for the cost of shipping if you want it. It doesn't look
like much (covered with dirt, grease, etc), but it should be useable. I'm in the Chicago metro area.

Jim Kyser
[email protected]
1946 Willys CJ-2A
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That would be great. I have the measurements written down at home. If possible, please send the measurements to [email protected]. I appreciate it very much.
Matt B BTW- I'm not afraid of grease & dirt. I drive a jeep

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

an alternate bell housing is available to install ford pattern transmissions to BOP engines. during the mid '60s after a fire destroyed the factory that produced 3 speed transmissions for BOP GM was forced to buy toploader 3speeds from ford.I have found several of these in 65-66 pontiac lemans and GTO's. since it was developed very quickly it is one of the heaviest GM bellhousings you can find, it comes drilled for ford and GM and has plenty of meat for other patterns

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That bellhousing would be fine if he had a Ford-pattern T-18 or a T-150, but the Jeep T-98 and T-18 use a pattern that
is different. The lower mounting ear on the driver's side is much higher than the one on the passenger side. The setups
where there was no adapter between the transmission and the bellhousing required a stud to be pressed out from the
inside of the bellhousing for this ear. A nut was then used on the stud to hold everything together. The clutch fork still
had to be modified to avoid intererance problems. Many of the T-18 setups for Jeeps used adapters between the trans
and bellhousing, all of them did for the T-98.

Jim Kyser
[email protected]
1946 Willys CJ-2A
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-06-1999, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since 3 of the holes line up though, it is straight forward drilling and tapping for the fourth hole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode