Onboard Welder - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Onboard Welder

I'm just wondering what people are you using for onboard welders. I was doing a little search
on the web and found this site:
http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/Welder/on-board-welder.html

For $100 I'm wondering why everybody doesn't have one. I certainly don't have the $800 for the
premier power welder but want to get a little input and opinions about the set up on this site.

Let me know all

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Onboard Welder

BTDT, the biggest problem is that you have to run another part on your engines belt system. Image your engine with factory air, converted A/C pump for onboard air, and a second alternator.............
Personally, I don't have A/C and am planning on this mod over the winter. Along with a cheap home made under hood shower that I found a write up on in a mag. (Don't remember which one)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well the premire unit does have a lot of advantages, such as 115 supply and variable amperage, however I have an alternator I am going to use for this, I figure on setting it up to replace the one on the jeep, I'll run the jeep off the battery while I am welding, it won't last as long as the premire unit will, however if you could gat a big enough variable resistor you could vary the current.
I know how bad the cost is for a store bought unit, you could cut costs even more if you use jumper cables to connect to the welder (you do have those right? and the best hood to use would be made from leather not a hard one, they would just get beaten up wheeling.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 07:57 AM

Heres another one to add to the mix. Its an onboard MIG welder. Found it the other day while looking at the bumpers these guys make. Don't know anything about it besides what it says on the page. Just thought it was interesting.

http://www.durango4x4.com/mig.htm

'79 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen that one too, but it's still 4-5 times the price. And for those who prefer to build it themselves, or don't have the $$$ to spend............ it's still out of their league.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can get a box for about $50 from NAPA that will do all the stuff for you so that you can weld
with an alt. and run 115V accesories ...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are you talking about? Clue us in.... I'd gladly put up the $50 to get a welder and be able to run 115V accy.s. Is this like the Premier Power box? Is it 115V DC like theirs or is it true AC current? Your not just talking about a power inverter, are you? Give us more info!! Thanks, and Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey you could just use a pair of batteries in series to weld with you know? or some places can sell you a 24 volt battery that will support welding currents for a short period of time, probably the ultimate cheap way to do it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah what up with that, a $50 box from NAPA? I heard of the 24V battery and the 3 batteries in series
but I like the alt idea myself. Preach preacher and let us know what the deal is?

[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-01-1999, 10:46 PM

now you guys have got me thinking, this box from NAPA, could you give up the part # or something like that, this sounds like a project/modification i would really like to do myself. i'm going to start researching this tomorrow.

3/4tonYJ
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'89YJ,4.3/th350/np231/8-lug,44/60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode