Help! 81 CJ-7 Hard Top - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help! 81 CJ-7 Hard Top

Need info on installing a hard top on a virgin CJ-7 (never had a hard top). Need mounting hardware and/or if you can, take pics of the side mounts, rear window latch and side door latches would be helpful. Anywhere I can get this stuff? 4WD Hardware couldn't guarantee their stuff would work. Got to get it on...starting to get cold. Thanks in advance for your help. Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Help! 81 CJ-7 Hard Top

the only hardware on my 84 CJ7 are bolts that go through the top through the rail with a washer and nut. Thats all. Not sure what hardware you asking about.

Brian "A4x4jeeper"
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
http://www.jerseywheelers.org/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Someone may be able to be of more help if you know what brand top.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Jerry, that's a start. But what about the wind-shield mount? I know I have to remove the ridge for the soft top don't I? Is the hard top just screwed on here? Is there a latch on the back tail gate?. I've seen serveral hard tops but never had the need to look at how they were mounted till now. Thanks again.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is a very simple process. If you have a softop, just remove all the hardware needed for the softop. The hardtop gets screwed into the windshield and a the tub, that's it, no other hardware is required.

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 06:36 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

What about clamping it to the tub with some small c-clamps? I am thinking about doing this instead of drilling holes in tub, maybe 4or 5( 2in.) clamps on each side. I put rubber strips on mine and had it bolted, but I filled in all the holes from previuos hard @ soft tops when I painted it this summer.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 11:13 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I have actually done the C-clamp thing. I put a 'glass tub on the CJ and just never got around to drilling
the holes for the hardtop. I used four clamps on each side. Just check them for tightness every so often.

As to Jeepbum's problem. If this is a factory hardtop, why not just find one on a used car lot, act like
you're going to buy it and look it over real well? Usually, even if you tell them the truth that you only want
to see how something mounts, they will be happy to oblige.

Ron

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 02:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The ridge on the w/s frame doesen't have to be removed. The factory hard tops are made to go around it. There are screws that go into the w/s frame from the interior. The clamp idea sounds good. I had clamps that held the topper on my '95 Dodge Ram with no leaks or rattles. Just get clamps from a truck accesory shop made for this purpose. I only had three clamps on each side (on an 8 foot box), you shouldn't need more than two on each side for a CJ. Don't use regular "C" clamps, you will be tightening them every day!

<font color=red>Mike H.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-02-1999, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The top itself is easy enough to bolt on. Just set in place and drill through the side rails and across the windshield for mounting bolts. The doors may be another story. What you need depends on the door latch style you have and the style rerquired for the new doors. (assuming you are converting from soft doors) The latch pin required for later hard doors can come off a junkyard wrangler. It mounts with four screws to a brace behind the door that should be in place on your '81. The brackets are unique to each side. Also, you might want to get a pair of footman loops for the straps that keep the door from opening too far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode