Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Tank Heater??? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1246-tank-heater.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-30-1999 01:49 PM

Tank Heater???

Can a guy install a tank heater on a 84 I-258?????
The people that make the tank heater say no.

CJDave 09-30-1999 03:19 PM

Re: Tank Heater???

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Are we talking about a coolant heating device here Gregg? One that goes in an outside loop? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave

**DONOTDELETE** 09-30-1999 07:03 PM

Yes it is. Runs coolant to heater from the lower block heats it and
drops it back in the top of the block.
Have a 2000 watt on a small block chev. and it will melt the snow
right out of the engin compartment. If it is not below 0 better at 10 to 15 deg. it will keep
the heat gage off the peg. Warm air will be there at start up.Best to run full time at work only part time at home.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave 09-30-1999 11:44 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I sure see a lot of those on standby generators. I did mention a while back, however, that they don't work all that good on "V" configuration engines. I cannot imagine what the problem is with the I-258? The tank heaters are strictly thermo-siphon right? No pump, right? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave

xjy173 09-30-1999 11:54 PM

We have these type of heaters on our stand by generator sets at the hospital where I work. In fact, one is installed on a small 30KW set that is made by Generac. The engine is a natural gas fired GM 350cid(5.7L) V-8. The heater works great as the set is out in the open on the roof.

**DONOTDELETE** 10-01-1999 09:51 AM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<font color=red>Yes a tank heater is a thermo-siphon and no pump.
They use to be used alot on V engines and worked fine. The trend
is to go to soft plug heaters where you take out the soft plug and
put a heating device in the hole. Cheaper to do, cheaper to run.
Don't dry your heater hoses out as fast as a tank heater. Even on a tank heater hoses still will last a long time. On V engines
most of the time they only put soft plug heaters in one bank of the engine. Seems
to me this would be the worst way to heat up a V engine. Have this on
a V-8 myself and it works ok but there is not the heat out put that
a tank heater can put out.
On a 258 I-6 therer would have to be a pipe plug in the lower part of the
block to put a nipple in the lower water jacket for a heater hose to tank
heater then to one or the other side of your heater hoses.
I don't know if there is a way to tap into the lower water jacket
of a 258 or not.

CJDave 10-01-1999 11:37 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I just did a generator test today on a 6-71 Jimmy Diesel with a tank heater on it. The heater wasn't working, but the Jimmy blasted to life without it since the ambient was 85 degrees. We are using dual soft-plug heaters in our 304. We got them from Think Jeep. Never even considered using just one. Now we got to find a good oil heater. Got any suggestions?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave

xjy173 10-02-1999 06:50 AM

Hey Dave,
Sorry can't help you much on the oil heater. It gets cold here in Philadelphia, but not THAT cold. We use heaters on our generator sets because they are required to start on the first try and be up to full voltage in 7-10 seconds(it is a hospital application). As a precaution, we use the heaters year round. Did you have any wet stacking problems with that 6-71?

Jim

CJDave 10-02-1999 09:25 AM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] No, the Jimmy really ran pretty good....even on startup. I have seen them slobber quite a bit though. So will Cats if you run them slow and cold. I do a LOT of work for healthcare, both thermographic surveys of the power system, and generator testing. I have one client that takes eleven days to inspect...huge complex...about ten generators on multiple power zones. They just installed twin Caterpillar V-16's in a paralleling arrangement. An awesome setup. Their oldest one is a FAirbanks Morse 1200 RPM in line NA Diesel. An oldie but a goodie. I just love to run that old chucker.
Actually, the Jimmies are going to disappear. The old two-strokers can no longer meet emission rules, and they have a new four-stroke Jimmy now. If the truth were known, the two-stroke engines follow the load better because they fire twice as many times. Well, back to my oil heater search......[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave

**DONOTDELETE** 10-10-1999 03:07 AM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]What faster or slower to respond??
The govener or the engine [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The trouble with oil heaters IMHO is that a lot of them
get to hot in one small place and will break down the oil
to fast. I have a dipstick oil heater and never have used
it for the fear of what it will do to the oil.{got it for next to
nothing at some end of season sale-never know might need it soom day;-]}
I have used a magnetic heater on the oil pan.Seems like it does not
get that hot when you put your hand where it has been on the oil pan.
I cannot remember they are like 100 to 300 watt so heat would be like the same size light bulb. Yes CJDave I know you already know that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]