Tank Heater??? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 03:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tank Heater???

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hmmm.... MOST governors are slower than the engines in my opinion. Actually the governor SYSTEM is slower. By the time the shaft loses RPM, the weights shift, the linkage moves, and the fuel lever tweaks, a lot of time has gone by. One reason I like the Jimmy Diesel for generator work is that with the two-stroke setup, you are never far from a cylinder firing. Jimmys are quick on the trigger.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Hmmm.....a magnetic oil pan heater.....not bad....seems safe enough. I must check that out. Thanks for the tip Gregg.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 06:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I just can't get ahead of you CJDave[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I agree with you that the gov is the slow link in the chain.
Hay but they are dam fast. All The ones I have worked with
are from any thing from the late 1930's to the early 1960's.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]Not the state of the art[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]Could not get you to back up on your two-stoke Jimmy's and you are
more than likely right[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color=red>This is not one of those moon man things with the Jimmy's

post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 09:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The old timers claim that nothing follows a load like a short-stroke reciprocating steam engine. They are; so they claim; very quick on the trigger since the power comes to them externally.
Don't misunderstand, I am really a Caterpillar fan when you get right down to it; but I do like the GMC for those generator jobs where sudden and heavy changes in load will bog down a four-stroker. Besides, if it weren't for Jimmy Diesels, who would oil the roads? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Lessee, now where is my ear protection...oh, here they are.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Man that rattle is hard to take without some kind of protection.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 10:58 AM

We also have a Detroit Diesel 90bhp 3cyl. powered fire pump at the hospital, Dave, governed at 3000rpm. Much, much louder than the 1800rpm Waukeshas or Cummins generators. A real screamer.

We also once had a reciprocating steam generator in the old boiler plant. Very reliable but, alas, gone the way of the dinosaurs.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try www.engineheaters.com (Proheat Products)
They have oil heaters ranging from 125 watts up to 1000 watts. Theirs are the peel and stick kind that stick to the oil pan...heat radiates up into the oil and through the whole engine. They are very slick and they really stick to the oil pan very well...There is also a company whose name I'm forgetting that makes an oil heater that installs in the pan. You have to drill and tap a hole in the side of the oil pan...I can find their name if you want. Drop me an e-mail if you want their name...
Dean

post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 04:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Was that a two stroke 90 BHP 3 cylinder? All the high speed stuff uses four valves per cylinder, all of which are exhaust valves of course. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 06:01 PM

Yes, that Detroit 3cyl. is a two stroker and almost brand new. It was installed in 1996 and only has about 45hrs on it.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FarmJeep I think your on to something.
I still worry about over heating oil.

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 08:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You have good reason to worry. When I do generator test work, one of the things that I watch for is inadequate cooldown time. That is where the generator engine goes off load, and runs till the engine has cooled sufficiently. With four stroke turbocharged engines it takes a minimum of 8 minutes to get the turbo bearing box temp down below 300 degrees F. Once the engine shuts down, the heat from the hot end of the turbo soaks up the bearing section and now that oil flow has ceased, it cooks the oil down to coke, plugging up a portion of the bearing box, and if the cycle is repeated enough it eventually prevents oil flow altogether and the turbo fails. That's why you have to idle the rig for a while after coming off the interstate into Moe's Diner for some grub. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-10-1999, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Here I go CJDave going to talk way over my head.
When I have used a magnetic heater they do not stick good and
tight to the pan for a good heat path to the oil and when I have
used the magnetic heater it has been for somewhat short time frames.
And like I said you could put your hand on the pan where the heater
was.
If I not wrong oil starts to break down is around 240 deg.??????
So my thought is if you have a thin layer of say 300 deg in the
bottom of that pan that all the oil in that area is getting a little
broke down and a week of say heating of 20 hrs a day could do a job on
your oil. That could be 120 or more hrs a week of slowly working your
oil over.
I like the idea of heating the oil. But how do you keep the oil safe
from break down.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'm I getting paranoid[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode