CTO - Details Please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 08:12 AM
gregcs

CTO - Details Please

Hey Folks,

I have gotten conflicting results on what each port of the CTO does and how it all works. Can someone who knows with 100% certainty what each port does and how they are related to one another or not give an explanation please?? I think I have a basic understanding, however I am trying to learn a little more about the vacuum system. My particular Jeep is the 89 Wrangler YJ. There are 3 ports to the front of the engine and 2 to the rear.

Thanks in advance (Trying to become in tune with my Jeep <smile>)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-30-1999, 10:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CTO - Details Please

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Hi Greg.... this is your Jeep talking....of the three front ports, the bottom is a filter...the top goes back around to a tee which is on the line that hooks to the lower port of the two rear ports.....the center port in front goes to the cannister to "purge signal" Of the two ports in back, the top goes to the center port of the circular EGR TVS....the lower port goes to the "s" port on the base of the carb. Now that I have spilled my guts, how about treating me to an oil change...Valvoline would be nice. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Gregg, you can see that your Jeep is willing to talk. The EGR valve is controlled from the top rear port, via the EGR TVS, so that's pretty straightforward. Water heats up, CTO operates. Same goes for the purge system. I cannot see where the CTO is connected to the spark advance, however, not like the older stuff.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Oh, and one more thing, your Jeep wanted you to check and see if you could get him the extra-large oil filter? You know, the optional PH8A which will increase his oil capacity. He says if you did that, it would make him feel a lot better about you letting him go so long between services. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode