1989 YJ Lift'n and Winch'n - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1989 YJ Lift\'n and Winch\'n

All:
I have a 1989 YJ with a 4.2L 258 (carburated) Islander. I'm in the process
of fixin it up. Currently I'm considering the folloing --- a Smittybilt front dual tube bumber with a Ramsey 9000 winch. I'm thinking of lifting it with a 4 inch superlift kit.
I have the following questions --- Is the Ramsey winch comparible to the Warn winch? Why is the Ramsey cheaper? Has anyone had any experience with lifting a comparible YJ? Did you need to lower the transfer case (np231)? I also have considered the Warn Black Diamond kit --- has anyone had any experience with this kit?

many thanks in advance

Bob
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1989 YJ Lift\'n and Winch\'n

I have run the Superlift kit. It is rated at 3.5" lift but yields more like 3. It rides very well but a little work on the sheetmetal or body lift would be required to run 35s. The springs do not have friction pads and have the light pinch style clamps. I was not impressed with the quality. I can highly recommend the Skyjacker kit. The springs are the best I have seen. Full lift, don't sag, excellent articulation and high quality. If I am ever forced off my SOA I would buy Skyjacker. Also, when the paint went bad on My Warn 9000i due to a paint supplier problem, Warn gave me a new motor and said to keep the original as a spare! Thats standing behind your product! A 6.5 hour winchfest in Moab convinced me of Warns quality. They even have a YJ mount for the 8274!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1989 YJ Lift\'n and Winch\'n

One caution on the setup you are planning for the front end. The winch along with that heavy dual tube bumper may cause your front springs to sag, especially if you go with a softer setup. As an example, I am running a Pro Comp lift which most people find unbearably stiff, but my Warn winch on a channel mount along with a hi-lift jack on a custom mount evens out the stiff ride. If I was using a softer lift the Jeep would be tail high. So, think the whole setup out before you spring for the lift and accessories.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode