CJ Alternator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ Alternator

Okay, this morning my 85 CJ7 was making a horrible screeching noise. It only does it at a high rpm. I think it is the bearing in the alternator. So, I am going to replace the alternator and want to know what I should get. i can just replace it with the stock, but I think I would like to upgrade. I have the MOPAR EFI kit installed. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I plan on adding a winch later as well as dual Optima baterries. I would like to go with a high output unit. What should I go with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ Alternator

If you do go with an aftermarket high output one, just be carefull. I've heard of people toasting stock CJ wiring with high output
alternators.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

are you haveing any pinging problems with your EFI? I just removed the belt that goes to the water pump-a/c it was toast after only 5k miles! must be my tensioner?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, No pinging problems at all. Are you? First, what altitude are you at? This will make a difference as to what gas you need to use. After installing mine I tried to us 87 Octane, but this did cause pinging. Now I use 89 octane and I have no problem. I don't know about the belt. The tension could be too much I would think if it wore out that fast. I'm going to try replacing both belts on mine and see if that will make the noise go away.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are going to put on a winch, upgrading to a high output alternator is a smart idea. As to burning up wiring, you can prevent this
by replacing the wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid with a much heavier one. This is the current path from the alternator
to the battery.

Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not to say that you shouldn't have a new 'improved' alternator, if you want one. But... If you want a quick fix, and if you are mechanically inclined, you can install a new bearing (front, ball, # 203PP Fafnir or equiv), and brush set for cheap. If you have an auto electric place near-by, you can sometimes get the brushes from 'bulk', for about a buck, or so (loose brushes, no holder). And, if you opt for a off-shore bearing, it's around $5-6. If you go for gringo stuff, the Delco brush set, with new holder, is like $10, and the US-made bearing is another $10. You should be able to hear a bad bearing - put one end of a rod, screwdriver, or whatever, on the alternator housing, near the front (while engine is running), and plug the other end of the rod in your ear. Maybe practice on some other cars. You should be able to recognize the sound of a bearing going south, versus a 'smooth' bearing.

bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode