Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   CJ Alternator (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1228-cj-alternator.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-1999 03:08 PM

CJ Alternator

Okay, this morning my 85 CJ7 was making a horrible screeching noise. It only does it at a high rpm. I think it is the bearing in the alternator. So, I am going to replace the alternator and want to know what I should get. i can just replace it with the stock, but I think I would like to upgrade. I have the MOPAR EFI kit installed. I don't know if this makes a difference or not. I plan on adding a winch later as well as dual Optima baterries. I would like to go with a high output unit. What should I go with?

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-1999 04:19 PM

Re: CJ Alternator

If you do go with an aftermarket high output one, just be carefull. I've heard of people toasting stock CJ wiring with high output
alternators.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-1999 04:46 PM

are you haveing any pinging problems with your EFI? I just removed the belt that goes to the water pump-a/c it was toast after only 5k miles! must be my tensioner?

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-1999 04:53 PM

No, No pinging problems at all. Are you? First, what altitude are you at? This will make a difference as to what gas you need to use. After installing mine I tried to us 87 Octane, but this did cause pinging. Now I use 89 octane and I have no problem. I don't know about the belt. The tension could be too much I would think if it wore out that fast. I'm going to try replacing both belts on mine and see if that will make the noise go away.

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-1999 06:25 PM

If you are going to put on a winch, upgrading to a high output alternator is a smart idea. As to burning up wiring, you can prevent this
by replacing the wire from the alternator to the starter solenoid with a much heavier one. This is the current path from the alternator
to the battery.

Gary

**DONOTDELETE** 09-29-1999 07:39 PM

Not to say that you shouldn't have a new 'improved' alternator, if you want one. But... If you want a quick fix, and if you are mechanically inclined, you can install a new bearing (front, ball, # 203PP Fafnir or equiv), and brush set for cheap. If you have an auto electric place near-by, you can sometimes get the brushes from 'bulk', for about a buck, or so (loose brushes, no holder). And, if you opt for a off-shore bearing, it's around $5-6. If you go for gringo stuff, the Delco brush set, with new holder, is like $10, and the US-made bearing is another $10. You should be able to hear a bad bearing - put one end of a rod, screwdriver, or whatever, on the alternator housing, near the front (while engine is running), and plug the other end of the rod in your ear. Maybe practice on some other cars. You should be able to recognize the sound of a bearing going south, versus a 'smooth' bearing.

bob