CJ Rear Wheelwell cutting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ Rear Wheelwell cutting

We've discussed cutting the front fenders on CJs numerous times, but we never have really talked about trimming the rear wheel wells. As any CJ owner knows, you really can't just make the radius bigger, there is no room in the font part of the wheelwell to do that. I'd like suggestions on what others have done, and if possible pics, on how you have cut your rear wheel wells. I did my front ones a year ago, its time to get out the grinder again and do the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ Rear Wheelwell cutting

here is how I did mine. side shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 790189-bodyrr0001.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 790190-bodyrr0002.jpg (21.6 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 07:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

There's not a lot of NEED to trim the rear wheelwells forward. During compression the axle moves backwards. Unless you have MONSTER meats, you shouldn't rub. You can always move the axle back to help gain some clearance. I installed TJ flares on my CJ5, and left the front of the opening alone. Only cut the back. It's worked well with the 35s. But now with the 36s it's time to trim again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I cut mine but not that much. Mine would catch on the rear so this is how I cut mine: I took the Xenon flare off and marked the top (starting with almost no material) and marked wider as I went down until I had about 1" at the bottom. The plasma cutter did a great job. Then I took a pair of vice grips and rebent the metal back in about 1/2". I ended up with about 1 1/2" off the back of the wheelwell right were I needed it. The flare was able to stretch over the wider opening and looks stock. I'm running 35s with Scout axles on my CJ7 with a 4" lift and a 1" body lift. I can stuff the wheel without catching the flare and bending the rear panal in now.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:13 PM
BMB
Veteran

How about trimming them like most people do when they change to TJ flares? You don't really take off any in the front, but the radius gets slightly higher and then opens up more toward the rear. Looks pretty good if you make the cut smooth and even.

BMB
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Pooh-Bah

I radiused mine out about 1.5" all the way around and re-installed the flares and have cleared the 35"s stuffed all the way, with the 37"s I will need to trim a bit more in the rear, but I have a 'glass tub so I can go a bit forwards more if needed. On the CJ5 I still didn't have a problem after I trimmed them and beat the forward seam out of the way with 35"s. I guess it is mainly the rear section that has a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode