A/C Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A/C Problem

I have a problem with the a/c on my '98 TJ. It will blow good cold air for about 10 minutes then gradually get warm and stay warm. It's been to two shops with no fix. They say it is fully charged. Can anyone help prevent a trip to the dealer? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Re: A/C Problem

You have a bad switch or bad connection. (my guess is the pressure cycling switch)
Fill out your profile. Since I don't have a clue as to any other info about you I can't invite you to bring it over so I can look at it.[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 05:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

Hey, wazzup? Got two bro-in-laws in York. There is a good A/C shop in Berlin, NJ. A little bit of a drive. Sounds like maybe somethings stopping freon. If you have a sight glass in the system you might be able to see tiny bubbles moving(good thing). Is the compressor spinning/cycling on and off when it starts putting out hot air? Haynes repair manual might have wiring diagrams for your year. I have a problem with the air conditioning in my Jeep. The bikini top lets water in when it rains, but this is only in the summer when I am using the bikini top. Just remember that rain is only water. But sometimes it's mixed with electricity and high wind. Good Luck with your problem. I'd die w/o a/c in my daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Might the temp switch be freezing making the A/C think it's cool enough?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 06:11 PM

Hey just take the top off and convert your A/C pump into onboard air compressor and be done with it...[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure your Evaporator case is draining freely. If its clogged, this would cause a freeze-up and start blowing warm air. Also, if the pressure cycling switch is stuck closed it may do the same thing...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A/C on a JEEP = Blasphemy. I was shocked and offended when the dealer asked if I wanted that option when purchasing my '95. I took my doors and top off and threw the Bikini top on my '85 CJ over a month a go. That is the best part of owning a Jeep. I like "mobdawg's" idea of transforming it into an air compressor. Best of luck to you though and happy 4x4'n.
Just give the wind in the hair and the feet outside the door a try, you will NEVER go back to A/C, I promise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode