Its amazing what a can of carb cleaner will do... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Its amazing what a can of carb cleaner will do...

Hey All

I have some friends with carbed YJ's. Some of them do great on the trails and others won't move out of their own way. On one, he just couldn't get it to go... He was going to go buy a new carb and all.....

Amazing what a can of carb cleaner and a new fuel filter will do. Granted, it is not EFI, but it ran better than it had in the last 2 years.

You would think that 10 years of black trash and soot in the carb would be a clue.....

Lesson: clean your carb out real good and change your fuel filter, maybe even a rebuild kit and a through cleaning inside BEFORE you buy a new carb. You would be amazed how much trash can build up inside a 10 year old carb.....

Regards

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: Its amazing what a can of carb cleaner will do...

Very true. Also make sure you use a very high quality filter. Not one of those glass see through ones.(they will only stop a boulder from getting to your carb)
My CJ has always run perfect, but bouncing on the trail stirred up all the crap in my tank and plugged it leaving me DOA in the woods. Not a major biggie, just a PITA.
Moral? Carry a spare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 12:04 PM
sas87yj

i buy those aluminium fram filters- does ok for me. wish i had fuel injection [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Way Outta Control

It certainly doesn't hurt to carry a spare filter. Adding an in-line just before the carb can catch lots of stuff that you wouldn't think gets through either.

A trick that may someday save you miles of walking: Since off roading is dirty and dusty by nature, someday the carb will get a little piece of grit, even a drop of water, in the wrong place, making it run terrible.
Air cleaner off, rev it to mid RPM as best you can, maybe 3000 RPM. Choke the carb off completely with your hand or a clean rag. Choke it off till it dies. It will be hard to re-start as it's flooded badly, Hold the go pedal down to the floor without pumping and crank away.
Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to work.

What happens when you choke it off like that the extreme vacuum from the spinning engine pulls all the trash out of the passages, possibly freeing it up again. (About the same idea as putting your nose on a vacuum cleaner hose - no more plugged sinuses.)

It does not get the trash out of the bowl, and it's not a substitute for cleaning and rebuilding, but it's a good trail fix.

I've heard it called a "Mexican tune up" because it's common in Baja.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 12:54 PM

Good call. That does work from time to time. You have to make sure to get it plugged off as fast as you can and as tight as you can for this to possibly work.
And as for being good for it or hard on suff.............I couldn't tell ya. All I know is that it has woked for me before. I got to drive it out without having to tear the carb apart.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode