Scrambler rear axle upgrade, opinions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scrambler rear axle upgrade, opinions?

Here I go, looking @ upgrading the ol' rear AMC 20 axle in my '81 Scrambler. With 150K on it, do you think it is worth going to one piece axles, lower gears (stock is 2.72!), & general axle rebuild; OR, go find a 44? I'm looking for cost information of rebuilding the 20 vs replacing it with something else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Scrambler rear axle upgrade, opinions?

If i didnt want to be wider i would have just beefed up the 20. New guts, axles and a truss and your good to go. Oh yeh dont forget to get the tubes stiched welded. But if you find a 44 with everything you want already and it doesnt need to be rebearinged then the 44 probably will be the cheap route.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 08:34 PM
Official Historian

Your profile is blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 11:55 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A rear 44 from a 72-73 Commando has the right width and spring perches, plus 11" brakes. Most of them were 3.73 also. If you decide to go that route, post a mssg on the Jeepster board, I know there are a few guys over there who have some extras, including 1 giving away a whole rig!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:13 AM
Enthusiast

I have an 85 CJ8 with a stock rear axle. What would be the cheapest and easiest way for me to upgrade my rear axlw to a Dana 44? Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 09:47 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Duane D, go find a Scout rear axle with the same ratio. They are only 2" wider per side (not even noticeable), have the same bolt pattern, the pinion yoke is 1/4" different (no need to use another driveshaft), and all you'll have to do it move the spring perches. I've done a few for friends and it's the easiest upgrade you can do. They are plentiful up here, like $100 each, and it'll save you the $$$ from trying to upgrade the AMC 20. However, if you have a lot of $$$ into the AMC 20, keep it, as it's comparable to the D44 when modified (1 piece axles).

Kansasjeep

I'd ditch both axles for something better. By the time you spend the $$$ on regearing and the 1 piece axles, you could have swapped in something beefier. I swapped in a pair of Scout axles with 4.10 gears in them. The front takes a little work, but it's worth it. You could also find a D30 with better gearing (3.54's are VERY common, I have 4 or 5 of them laying around) and a 3.54'd D44 is also pretty common.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It ain't the cheapest route but it is good...
Shortened 31 spline Ford 9" rear and shortened Dana 44 front. I just did it it cost me around $2000. including lockers and rear disc brakes. My friend Tom is a 9" Axle guru and has figured out how to cut and respline axles! for me this upgrade made sense and with 4:88 gears I can really crawl....

Before this upgrade I had the Mosier solid rear axles 3:73 gears and Lock-Rites F/R.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 01:53 PM

The real question here is...........what are you doing with this jeep? Street machine? Occasional wheeler. ARCA compatition? This would really tell what options would be best for you. If it's a mild trail rig, then go with 1 pc and gears or a scout 44.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found a Commando D44 with the gears I was looking for complete for alot less money than building up the 20. So I think I'll go that route rather than getting 1-piece axles, gears, install kit & labor expense to install of all that in my AMC 20.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 11:06 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If the Commando donor has the D30 front, it'll bolt in also. Just swap your stuff over (knuckles out)for the disc brakes and then both axles will have the same gearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode