Ford5.0 jeepers, are u using the STOCK brackets? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Ford5.0 jeepers, are u using the STOCK brackets?

The search feature doesn't seem to be working correctly. I can only find one or two posts with a 5.0 mentioned. My 302 has died, so I'm wanting to upgrade to a EFI 5.0. I have a line on a '90 Crown Vic, but I was wondering if y'all stayed with the factory ford accessory brackets. I would like to keep the serpetine belt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 08:57 PM

Re: Ford5.0 jeepers, are u using the STOCK brackets?

I used all the stock mustang brackets except the power steering brackets. For that I used one from a ford van with a 5.0 because it uses a saginaw steering pump. I had to clearence the bracket and pump a little to clear the steering shaft. You can use the ford PS pump too.
If you want to see pics let me know.

I have an extra set of brackets sitting in the garage if you need them...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 12:18 AM
Veteran

Check your private mail when you get the chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Of COURSE I wanna see pics!! Nothing describes like a pic!! I'm already running the FORD pump on my 302, but it's pretty close to the steering shaft (as you noted). I made some brackets of my own, pulling the pump closer to the engine. But I was hoping to keep everything stock for once.

Hey Spook2!! NO private messages!! I hope you didn't send me any TOP SECRET information. Because I never recieved them. If you want you can just email me at [email protected]

Thanks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 05:34 AM
Dean

I kept mine nearly stock, except I installed the Ford Racing AC eliminator bracket which moves the steering pump up and away from the steering shaft, then fab'ed a Saginaw pump bracket using a PS bracket from a '79 Lincoln.
I also installed an air pump eliminator pulley kit. Many folks just pull the air pump and run a shorter belt, but I think that doing that puts too much stress on the alternator bearings.

Dean
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 05:32 PM

Here are some pics...the ones on the bottom. I tried to get in there but its not an easy area to take pics of.
http://majic.virtualmajic.com/ford_5.htm

The bracket you see in the last pics is the ford van bracket. You can see where I had fun with the grinder to clear the steering shaft. In addition I had to pound in the resvervoir on the pump a bit too. There is another option that I was going to try if all else failed. If you go to the parts america website and put this part number in:
p/n: 206244
You will see a picture of a saginaw pump with a horseshoe shaped adapter that adapts it to the ford bracket. The downside is that it costs $85 plus a $45 core. Plus it is for a v-belt application and I was not sure if my serp belt pulley would fit.
Its original application is to replace the ford PS pumps in F trucks. I have tried to find a saginaw pump with a reservior like that in another application but had no luck. If anyone knows where I could find one let me know. It would fit perfectly in that van bracket and you would not have to mutilate the smaller reservoir.

That bracket is actually the one I did not use. I found 2 different types of bracket on the ford vans. The one I used holds the pump slightly closer to the engine and uses the mustang style AC pump.
The one in the picture uses the truck/van style AC pump and there is another little pulley thing that bolts on if the van did not come with AC. For what its worth...every regular V8 ford van I saw had the bracket in the picture. The one I used came from a conversion van and I have not been able to find another since.

If you have any mopre questions let me know. I learned a lot about EFI ford engines last winter.

-Chris
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok Chris...... did you use the stock manifolds? I used older truck manifolds to clear my clutch linkages. But I'm wanting to swap in EFI. So now I need oxygen sensors. Can I just have them welded into the down pipes? Did you go with a standard shift tranny? Anything special as far as the clutch goes?

Just a couple of general questions, if I'm gonna re-work everything.. I'd like to do it right this time.

Thanks again!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Damn Chris. I asked the questions too soon. I love the pics, and I'd like to borrow the keys.

'bout the only questions I have left is what you are doing for a clutch pedal? Linkage? Hydraulic?? Just curious...

Thanks again. GOOD JOB!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Chris, somehow I managed to delete the email you sent me. Can you resend?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 08:00 PM

Chris,
I would strongly advise that you beef up the MORE mounts at the L metal between the engine mount bolts. If used hard the brackets will bend (the section between the engine mounting bolts will bend upward at the bushing mount).
Also the MORE design forces a lot of outward pressure at the frame rails, due to the ability to rotate outward at the bushings when extra force from bouncing forces the engine downward. I would suggest a cross member from frame rail to frame rail at the location of the mounts, to lock everything into place and prevent fatiguing at the frame rails.
I like the MORE style of mounts, but they do have inheirant design problems that need to be addressed.
I speak from experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode