Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   [POLL] Ignition options ~ (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/122280-%5Bpoll%5D-ignition-options-%7E.html)

JeepnGreg 06-01-2002 03:54 PM

[POLL] Ignition options ~

just curious on your opinions, i'd like to get something for my 2.5L to give it just a hair more pep

Laters!

WILL 06-01-2002 05:14 PM

Re: [POLL] Ignition options ~

Do a search on "jacob customer service". That might make up your mind.

WilliamA 06-02-2002 05:00 AM

Personally, I use MSD ignition components. They seem to be very reliable and well made. I went to MSD after experiencing many problems with Jacobs coils.

Junk Yard Genius 06-04-2002 03:43 AM

Why did he leave out GM HEI, Motorcraft/ DuraSpark, and Delco breaker points?
How about magnetos?

JeepnGreg 06-04-2002 09:52 AM

thats why theres the "other " option....i couldnt think of any more at the time.....so who does anyone make kits for those for the 2.5L, i know of the DUI system but thats it.... or whould i have to scrounge up parts from a yard and put parts together myself?

and what are magentos? well actually i know what a magnetos is, but that i learned in pilot school...is it same thing? or different?

RRich 06-04-2002 12:13 PM

DUI? Isn't that what the driver does?

Junk Yard Genius 06-04-2002 11:20 PM

DUI is a slightly updated GM HEI. No need to list it as a separate item unless you are talking AMC V-8 specific, in which case you will need their custom machined lower housing...
<hr>

Magneto is a self powered ignition system.
It spins a permanent magnet in a coil of wire to produce the current needed to fire the cylinder.
No out side current needed to power this ignition.
A good idea (but EXPENSIVE) for a back up ignition.
Even if the battery, alternator and starter fall completely off the vehicle, if you can roll it and pop the clutch it will run.

Late model magnetos have sold state switching, Ford style pick up coils, and the wide for style caps.
VERY powerful! Over 44 primary amps, 2 secondary amps, 45,000 volts to the plug wires, and continuous spark durations for 26 crank degrees!
Very expensive! (around a grand).

Airplane mags and old tractor mags work on the same principle, but not nearly as powerful as the mags used by the top fuel and funny car guys..
<hr>

there is also the old 'buzz box' ignitions...
Where all the spark plugs are fired continuously...
The first one to find fuel... Wins!
Obviously, no advance or retard with these ignition systems!
The potential for the cylinder to fire as soon as the intake stroke started was VERY possible!
(good at kicking back and breaking arms, faces ect. with the hand crank...)

Lot's of 'Model T's out there with them!
I used to love playing with them when I was a kid. You could build the 'Jacobs ladder' where the arc climbs the conductors (like in the old mad scientist movies!) and a ton of other stuff, like directional flow ion generators (ion or 'electron' guns), and all sorts of cool high voltage toys.

webjeep 06-05-2002 01:59 PM

i had the jacobs in my first 78 and really didnt have any problems with it, i thought that it was the best thing going. then i bought my most recent 5 and thanks to the internet was able to ask a few other opinions and heard many derogatory things about their customer service and a few rags on the equipment so i figured id try the msd. since i bought my newest 5 all i have done to it mechanically is the TR upgrade, put the msd6a with the msd ecoil, 8.8mm wires, new plugs, fix the valve cover leak (so far), put a collector bottle on my pcv line and some nice high detergent oil in it (gotta change that soon too) and i have to say that in my opinion the msd6a with TR's thingie blows the jacobs away.

Junk Yard Genius 06-05-2002 04:44 PM

Sounds like you have it under control!

When I run High Detergent oil, I like to change it about every 2,000 miles at first...
The first batch will be about normal, but after that, it's gets pretty thick!
I guess that first batch soaks a bunch loose, and the oil changes after that are carrying it away...
I get some chunks sometimes, and thats not the idea when using high detergent oil.
It's to dissolve the stuff, so it stays in suspension and comes out with the oil.

Gotta love the ignition upgrade!!...
No super expensive/ hard to find aftermarket parts, no warranty headaches, all proven hardware.
It's a wonder someone hadn't put this together for Jeepers/ AMC guys before...
Glad I could contribute!

bluseman2a 06-06-2002 09:08 AM

High Detergent Oil: Tell me more? What brands do you recommend? I've got an older block that's edging on higher mileage, wouldn't mind seeing if I could clean some gunk out. Also what's the scoop on the PCV collector bottle?

Educate me, please?