TH700 is it worthy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TH700 is it worthy

I'm just about to start my project. A bobbed CJ8 tub on a lengthened TJ chassis.I want to run a 454 in front of the 700.
1-Do any of you guys(or girls)run th700's?
2-Are the tuff enough in stock form or do they need beefing up
3-Is there any trouble with over run on downhills(I had a chat to the automatic mob here about putting a manual overide switch on the lock up convertor -easy done- do you think it would be an advantage?)

I'm also getting the 700 to be manually selected(to avoid sudden kickdown when going up hills in second.)

I need the overdrive as its a long way to any decent 4 wheelin around here

Also ,does anybody know of engine mounts for the 454 into TJ

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TH700 is it worthy

I don't think the 700R4 tranny in stock form is up to a 454. I would contact Art Carr in L.A. area to see what's needed to beef it up for a big block or if it's feesable at all.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 05:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah , i didnt really expect to get away with a stock tranny. the automatic guys here recon about $2600au(im in australia)to beef it up for the 454. just wonder wat you fellas think of the 700(i need the overdrive as its a long way to any decent 4wheelin round here......) and if anyone had any trouble with em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 04:39 AM

According to GM's usage charts, the 700R4 is only slightly weaker than the TH-400, and only in shock loading...

Replace the center carrier bearing to the wider one used on corvettes and police cars.
Replace the 1st/ reverse sprague bearing with the stronger one. (B&M is one source)

I've been pushing 500 horse power and 500 ft.lb. torque through one in a blown shop truck we normally use as a tow vehicle for about 7 or 8 years now with no problems...
The tranny stood up enough to shear off an axle in a heavy 1/2 ton chevy with display trailer in tow...

The guys use them racing around here because of the deeper 1st gear, and the over drive just CAN'T hurt anything in a Jeep....
If they live in the 600-700 horse power door slammers around here (these guys are real fond of the 501 and larger chevys) they should live in a Jeep unless you think you are actually going to launch from brushed concrete... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Chevy also bolted just about every kind of transfer case you can think of behind them, so no special adaptors needed, salvage yard or GM parts room and you are in business.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 05:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for that . I was getting worried no one wanted to talk to me...There isnt as big of a following with jeeps downunder here so its hard to get " real world " advice on 4 wheelin. Look like I can add a 700 to my project list then... thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode