Body swap cj5 to cj3a - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body swap cj5 to cj3a

I think i may be way off but i need confirmation. I am wondering if a CJ5 tub would fit on to a 52CJ3a or would i be way wider/longer? Of course with out looking to goofy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 11:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Body swap cj5 to cj3a

I believe the tub will be longer than the CJ3A. I did research on it because i was going to swap a CJ2A tub on a early CJ5 drivetrain and the drive train was like 4 inches longer.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:48 PM
Nickmil

The drive train on a '71 and older CJ-5 is damn close to the same length. The biggest difference is the frame is longer in the rear to accomodate the longer body tub and rear springs. If you set the axle in the middle of the wheel well in the rear you will have about 3" give or take hanging out behind the flat fender tub. Many people integrate this into their rear bumper. Look at Tom Telford's 3b (the maroon one in the Warn ads winching up a hill). His 3b is on an early CJ-5 chassis. So is Rich Imholt's yellow 3b called "Bad Bee" which is the one in both magazines in the article about the Holbrook spring conversion. According to both guys it was minimal work to bolt a flatty body onto an early '5 frame. I'm getting ready to do the same for a buddy of mine as soon as I have time to finish his 44 axles and transfer case. I'd highly recommend going to hanging pedals and getting rid of the through the floor pedals and under-floor brake master cylinder. Nickmil.

OOPS! I just reread the original post. Trying to put a '5 tub on a flatfender frame? Never done that but like I said above, the frame and springs in the rear are longer to support the rear of the tub on the '5. You'd need to extend the rear of the frame to compensate. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 08:49 PM

Err....no offense, but why? Is the 3A body gone and you have a 5 body laying around? I can see using a 2A or 3A on a later frame (using a relatively common frame for a cooler body from one of the new body manufacturers), but I'm not sure on the the other way around. If you are looking for a '5 because you like the looks, but have a 3A, you can probably find someone on the board that would make a swap---I'd be interested, but I live WAY too far away unless you are in Alaska.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep the cj3 body id realllllly ruff. It was not at all to change the look, it just they seem to be easier to find than and old cj 2 or 3. I will probably just beat it up as much as i can or get some body who knows what they are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode