TeamRush Ignition Upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TeamRush Ignition Upgrade

I have a 1982 CJ-8 (4.2l, automatic) that I'm interested in doing this upgrade to. Currently the Jeep has the stock ignition and only a Holly Carb and Clifford Header as ugrades. I found an ACCEL coil(#ACC-140012) on Summitracing.com that puts out 48,000v for 39.95. Since this is actually cheaper than a regular TFI coil at my local STRAUSS / PEP BOYS store I'd prefer to use the ACCEL one. My concern is that this coil at 48k volts could be too much for the rest of the ignition. Aaron thanks for making this information "Public" ! All advice welcome ! :-))

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 02:59 AM

Re: TeamRush Ignition Upgrade

**I have a 1982 CJ-8 (4.2l, automatic) that I'm interested in doing this upgrade to. Currently the Jeep has the stock ignition and only a Holly Carb and Clifford Header as ugrades. I found an ACCEL coil(#ACC-140012) on Summitracing.com that puts out 48,000v for 39.95. Since this is actually cheaper than a regular TFI coil at my local STRAUSS / PEP BOYS store I'd prefer to use the ACCEL one. My concern is that this coil at 48k volts could be too much for the rest of the ignition. Aaron thanks for making this information "Public" ! All advice welcome ! :-))**

The Secondary side of your upgrade is like this...

Cap Adaptor, Distributor Cap & Rotor from a '82 Ford F-150 Pickup with 300 CID I-6 Engine.
Pay the extra for the premium cap and rotor with brass terminals, they ARE worth the extra money.

Plug wires from a '92 Jeep with 4.0L I-6 Engine.

Don't sweat the coil you have.
48,000 volts is the absolute MAXIMUM they could make the poor little sucker crank out during closed testing.
It's really no more powerful than the premium stock coils, just painted Accel yellow...

If you have the 'timing computer', You may also want to do the 'Nutter Bypass' and use a distributor from a '79 Jeep CJ with 258 CID I-6 engine.
Anything with timing control doesn't have the large centrifugal advance slots, so your ignition advance will go to he11 when you do the 'Nutter Bypass'.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 07:14 PM
MaineJeep

TR, what exactly will happen if I use my stock 87 YJ distributor with the Nutter Bypass, won't I get enough advance? Will it run bad? (actually it probably can't run worse). What can I expect it to do with this distributor Nuttered up. I was planning on doing it this weekend along with the Team Rush upgrade.

In another post you mentioned using 92 4.0L wires for the TR upgrade, and using the stock coil would be sort of OK. Won't the coil wire be mismatched to the coil connector? What will I have to do to the coil wire to use it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 05:22 PM

**TR, what exactly will happen if I use my stock 87 YJ distributor with the Nutter Bypass, won't I get enough advance?**

I have NO idea what anyone's version of 'Enough' is, so I can't answer that.
Your distributor won't make the advance the pre '80 distributors will.
The timing control added the advance while it controlled the idle mixture, ect...

In most cases, more advance means more power, so if you do the bypass, it's a good idea to swap your distributor in on a '78 or '79 so you can take full advantage of the centrifugal advance...

**Will it run bad? (actually it probably can't run worse).**

With the condition of the timing control, idle air control motors, and support hardware I've seen lately, It can't run much worse than it does now...
All of your stuff may be functioning, but most of the stuff I see isn't...

**What can I expect it to do with this distributor Nuttered up.**

You can always open up the advance slot your self just to see if it will add any performance.
Ford gave you two slots, one to experiment with, and one to go back to if you don't like the changes...

** I was planning on doing it this weekend along with the Team Rush upgrade.**

Do one at a time, that way I don't get blamed for problems the bypass can create, like having the IAC valve open causing a HUGE vacuum leak, ect...

**In another post you mentioned using 92 4.0L wires for the TR upgrade, and using the stock coil would be sort of OK. Won't the coil wire be mismatched to the coil connector? What will I have to do to the coil wire to use it.**

Everyone reports they couldn't be happier with the 4.0L wires, and I've tried them here, and the do work very well.
The 4.0L wires will come with a spark plug terminal at both ends of the coil wire.

Most parts stores will have coil wires you can buy separately, but the quality is questionable.
Most parts stores will sell you a connector end with boot for the 'Volcano' style coil.

If you can't swing that, find a scrapped Ford up to about '86...
(or buy a set of spark plug wires and swap the coil wires out, return the Ford wires with the AMC coil wire in the box.... With a complaint that you got the wrong coil wire... NOT A LIE!)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was not aware of the Jeep wire option when I did the ignition upgrade and found the Autolite Pro-Fit 86168 worked well if the new coil was to be mounted in the original position on the engine. However, I got a fender mounting bracket off a Taurus or something so ended up using a Borg Warner CH631 set which was nice because it includes both coil wire types -though I am not keen on the blue and orange colors. The bracket worked well by bending one of the tabs. I also got the connector off a Mustang.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 07:18 PM

Yup, I did my home work on this one...
You can scarf parts from everywhere and make them work well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please excuse the ignorance but I just discovered this great site and now I have some questions...Could you define what exactly the "Nutter ByPass" is? Is it simply swapping out distributors? Or is their more involved? I considering the Team Rush Ignition Upgrade as I'm not happy with my fuel mileage and power. Any help would be great appreciated...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm collecting the list of parts to do the Team Rush Ignition Upgrade on my 88 YJ 4.2. What coil do you recommend for this?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:43 PM

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/ele...jn-ignition99/

Nutter Bypass
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, thanks for the link...As it turns out I've already had this done, its just that nobody referred to it as the Nutter Bypass to me before. With that out of the way do I need to swap out my distributor on my 88 YJ for the 79 CJ7 version to complete the TR Ignition Upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode