CJ: TH400 from q-trac adapter to D20 question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

CJ: TH400 from q-trac adapter to D20 question

Hi, I have an opportunity to pick up the adapter from the TH400 to D20 that was in a J-truck or Commando. I have a good TH400 that is attached to a Q-trac (J-truck) and a D20 case from a CJ. will I have to do anything other than put the pieces together to make the TH400/D20 combo happen? Thanks
-Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:10 AM
Official Historian

Re: CJ: TH400 from q-trac adapter to D20 question

Yes, you will have to change the transmission's output shaft to the one for the dana 20. Other than that, it will just bolt together.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:58 PM
Nickmil

depending on what vehicle you are putting it in and placement of trans you will probably have to lengthen the shifter mount tube and shift rods on the transfer case. The Auto equipped model 20's had a waayyyy long extension to move the shifter forward to compensate for the length of the trans. Other than that, the output shaft in the trans is the biggest stumbling block. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:21 PM

What are you putting this combo in? With the Dana 20 you will have a centered output, unlike the QT which has the passenger side output. Depending on the vehicle a centered output will work with a offset diff. If it's going in a FSJ, the wheel base should take of the compound driveline angle. However, a CJ wheelbase will probably cause some vibrations.

P.S. Where did you get the adapter. I am up in Erie,PA and have had my eye out for one.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The goal is this, I want to put the Rear D60 axle from our '85 J20 junk truck into our '75 J10. So we need a centered output. I found the adapter off a local guy who is selling an entire jeep, but has some leftover parts from years gone by... he has the entire TH400/D20 setup from the truck, but I'm not looking for a tranny & wouldn't trust the x-fer case unless I knew where it came from... but I'll have to be sure to get the tranny shaft & the shifters off of it... I'll let you know if I know of more, there was another guy selling a rebuilt TH400 & D20 case together on ebay, he was from erie, I bid $49.95 and was the winning bidder, but he had a reserve of $550, which was more than I want to spend, but... if your tranny is shot & you need the entire setup, it not a terribly bad deal...

-Mel
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:16 PM
Official Historian

If your goal is just to swap the rear axle, you can do that and keep the quadratrac. If you want to get rid of the quadratrac too, then you'll have to swap output shafts which will require disassembling both transmissions. I was running my quadratrac with a '70 wagoneer dana 44 (you'll figure out where I got it from below) that was offset a little for the gas tank but not as far as the quadratrac dana 44 axle I have now. I had no problems with the 17" driveshaft and 4" of lift in my CJ7. The only reason I swapped that one out is because of an incompetent shop that regeared it for me. The new gears only lasted 2-3 months and only one time off road, but that's another story.

The '85 J20 dana 60 should have the pinion offset slightly to the passenger side for the driveshaft to leave room for the gas tank on the inside of the frame rail. With the driveshaft length, the u-joints will be just fine. My brother did just the opposite of this. He swapped in a quadratrac dana 60 from a '78 J20 into his '70 wagoneer that has a dana 20. He later found a TH400/dana 20 (well, ozarkjeep did) that he used the adapter and output shaft from to swap into a TH400 from a Buick to switch from a Buick 350/T-15/dana 20 to Buick 350/TH400/dana 20.

If it was me, I'd rather just disassemble one trans and rebuild it rather than take two apart.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hmmmmmmm.......... interesting thought [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I like, I like... Yeah, the Q-trac is fine, nothin' wrong with it, works as it should, just we have these *visions of grandeur* for this old truck... including lift springs & the J20 axles & some other upgrades.... No tranny work & not having to seperate the q-trac or really, mess around with anything sounds inviting - just never looked at it that way... I'll have to talk to my main man about it.. thanks,
-Mel
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 09:34 PM
cjjunkie

Mel,
what about the 727 and dana 300 you have?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I don't have a 727 & 300 in good shape, the spare 300 I have isn't right & I wouldn't waste it on the J-truck, and the th400 is already in the J-truck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode