tj speedometer incorrect after tire change - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tj speedometer incorrect after tire change

I have a 99 wrangler that i lifted and installed 33 inch tires on. My speedometer is incorrect and would like to know if anyone knows a company that makes a gear for the manual transmission to correct this, or what else could be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: tj speedometer incorrect after tire change

You can get the new gears from your local Jeep dealer. Somewhere online there's a site that has a gear calculator to figure out how many teeth you'll need for your speedo gear.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:09 PM

The speedo gear swap is easy. Just make sure you index the sensor correctly. There are gear tooth ranges on the side and indents for the lock tab on the base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

What size tire (stock) and what gear ratio do you have?

The 3.73 w/30" tire package came stock with a 34 tooth gear. If you went to 33" tires you need either a 30 or 31 tooth.

Here are three sites that all give somewhat conflicting info:

http://www.jeeptech.com/javaAps/Speedo.html

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.raingler.com/jeepReference/speedoChart.html>http://www.raingler.com/jeepReference/speedoChart.html</a>

Above 32 tooth they do not have odd # til 39 ...hence any 33, 35, or 37 tooth references are bogus.

All the 231 speedo gears share the same part # 520676xx
The xx being the tooth count of the gear.

So a 31 tooth gear would be 52067631 etc.

If you had 30" tires and a 3.73 rear ..you will need a 30 or 31 tooth. I installed a 30 tooth and my odometer was within like 3% of stock. (54 miles on a 52 mile course) I may swap in the 31 and recheck it.

Oh..ya ..the Cherokee site has the detail on the install ..which is a snap.....except in my case. When I pulled the gear out the O ring swelled and I could not get it back in right. It would always bunch out the back (where you could not see) ..well eventually I ripped it and thank goodness the local engine/race car builder (which I was using his recently poured concrete lot to do this on) had O ring stock. This was naturally @ 4:30 when the dealer parts dept was closed.

So ...if you want to be safe (somehow I always run into the obscure anomolies) ..get a spare O ring when you order/pickup the gear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 12:27 PM
tys

GeeAea-

Maybe you can help me out on this. I've been trying for months now to correct my speedo problems on my 89 YJ. I've increased tire sizes and based on my calculations, I need a 36 tooth gear. I called the local dealer, and two times now they've ordered me a gear that does not work. It is physically smaller in diameter and as a result does not mesh with the gear in the NP231 t-case. I called them back and referenced your p/n sequence, 52067636, and they say it is a valid part no. and that it costs around $14. Will this work with my 89 NP231?

The P/N's I've purchased already are 52068158 &amp; 52068157

Thanks,
Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Veteran

So, I went full circle, I started with 30"/3.73 and now I'm at 37"/4.56. It may be off, but it ain't off enough to worry about.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I "believe" that you only need to index the gear correctly.

The assembly should be held in by a metal two - pronged "fork". The two tabs of the fork reside in detents cast into the plastic of the speedo output housing. If you look close you will see #'s embossed on the side of the housing (just as an example - the numbers that I'm quoting are probably not the actual # that you will see) 28-32 .....and if you rotate it around ..33-38 ...etc. You just find the set of numbers that 36 is within and rotate it so you can insert the tabs of the fork into the detents of the rotating housing.

As far as the part # go ...I've got 3 of them sitting in front of me. Perhaps there is a # break somewhere. I ordered a 34, a 31, a 30, and a 29 and all had the exact same front end notation.

Go figure..?..??

Do you have a 4 banger with 31" tires on it?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 06:21 PM
tys

"Do you have a 4 banger with 31" tires on it?"

Nope, swapped that and the AX5 out last year for a built 4.0L and the 4spd auto from an XJ limited. I forget the trans now, AW-4 I think? Works awesome.

Chris
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ok ...well it still makes sense. The only thing that I could figure is 4.10 gears w/ 31" tires (hence a 36 tooth ..or there abouts). Since only 4 bangers came with 4.10 gears ......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

You can also take to the dealer and have the "ring and pinion" factor set with their DRB111 scanner. I don't know if any aftermarket scanners, like Snap-On's will show this page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode