Help me find my miss.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Help me find my miss..

For a while I've noticed some extra noise at higher RPM and some lack of power.. anyone have any ideas. I know it's a long shot.. but it's the sound you'd expect your rad fan to make if it were slapping a peice of the cowl.. It's not.

It's rather loud.. goes faster at higher RPM's, and emminates just at the front of the tranny tunnel..

I just went and pulled my plug wires to see if pulling one would keep the engine at the same tone (tell tale miss right) well the #1 did this.. pulled it, with no change of noise..

it also has a slit in it that gave me 4 zaps before I let go..

anyone have anything for me to test.. I pulled the plug and it was dry and smelt like exhaust.. not gasoline..

the other wires.. when pulled changed the beat of the engine/ (Didn't zap me either)

It's a 258.. Carbed.. anyone have any ideas.. I'm going to replace all the plugs do the TR upgrade and replace the wires soon..

Anyone have anything else to look at?
The exhaust makes a nice deep noise.. just what I want.. but then once in a while it gives a pulse of air.(haven't tested it and I suppose it might be exhaust not air) but you get the idea..

drumming along then.. "Flop" or "Pop" or "Thrump"
how's that for an onamatapia

anyone got any advice.. love to know what you think.. I don;t know that much about what's going on inside this engine.. could be anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:56 PM
Old Hand

Re: Help me find my miss..

if you have a wire with a cut in it that is more than likely your miss, witch would give you the funny xhaust sound . At higher RPM your engine needs more spark than at lower RPM. The cut in the plug wire would allow the wire to deteriorate internally.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:02 AM

Installing a HEI will add 4,000 horse power, cure all leaks, squeaks, smelly holes, rotten toes, and is guaranteed to make child birth an absolute pleasure!

Haven't you been keeping up with the 'Experts'?....
<hr>

To start with, I'd swap the plug wires and see if the 'miss' moves...
You DAMN sure need to change that plug wire!

With an bad plug wire, chances are it will show up in the cap on the terminal that was mis firing.
Clean all the terminals off, and clean the rotor nose while you are in there...
A little dielectric grease on the rotor nose and the center electrode contact on the rotor wouldn't hurt anything either...

You need to find out if your 'Miss' is just that, a miss or not.
You can use a vacuum gauge to diagnose a number of problems, especially if you can hear them in the exhaust...

This may be anything from that bad plug wire, to a sticking or bent valve, or (god forbid!) the crank thrust face is gone and the crank is hitting the block.

Check the wires, cap and rotor, and if that isn't it, let me know and we'll start with vacuum, compression ect...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Wires - Obviously still a rip in one of them.. I'm going to get new wires as soon as I get a chance.

Cap - Pulled it off/appart less then 2 weeks ago and cleaned up all the shiny bits of doo-dads that are in there.. (contacts)

I also re-oiled the rotor, cleaned the end of the rotor..

I used wet/dry sand-paper.. about 300 grit to clean all contact surfaces.

The thing ran good after that for a few weeks.

There was no mods or anything between the time it ran good, and the time it ran noisy.. I think there was about 45 min between when I got back home and when I went back out.

I did noticed while I was under the hood that when looking down into the fan, it wasn't a smooth motion, it had quite a bit of vibration from side to side in it.. no-doubt worn bearings..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:52 PM
JesseA

is it in the fan or in the Water pump/ also, is the fan one of those fixed types or does it have the viscous clutch? they type that bolt directly to the water pump and cannot rotate without the pump rotating rarely go bad. the type with the viscous clutch can move on their own if the engines not running or if it gets bound by something if it is (like packed snow.....) they can exhibit bad bearings in addition to the ones in the water pump.

jesse
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

I'll look at that later tonight.

As for my miss..
I have a feeling it's gone.. I can't quite tell because after cranking the engine over with no #1 plug in the hole I can't hear much..

If it is gone, what could it have been, and how do I precede in fixing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode