balancing REALLY off balance tires. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

balancing REALLY off balance tires.

I know there powder, sand, pads, wheel weights... but has anyone ever tried 3 golf balls in each tire??? I have heard 2 different folks swear by it now.... seems pretty odd... all i know is I need to balance my beadlocked 38's cause I'm having serious death wobble issues with the unbalanced tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:36 PM
cj7jeep

Re: balancing REALLY off balance tires.

Alot of guys on POR board swear by the golfballs. For 38's i think 6 balls is the standard.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:27 PM

POR, eh? Well, consider the source. This sounds like one of those puttin'-it-on-the-new-guys things TR was just ranting about. Let's not get it started again!

I've heard of this, but never from anybody I'd trust, and I don't know anybody who did it.

It's counter intuitive. One would think the weight in the tire would go towards the spot that's heaviest already. If balancing tires were as easy as throwing golf balls in, we wouldn't bother with weights.

I've also heard of glue-in weights for grossly imbalanced tires. Never used them either.

I think the best advice is to take them to a tire shop that is used to working with truck tires, and pay them to do the job right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:44 PM

I always balance my big tires at truck tire places. They do a much better job, sometimes they have to work a little at getting the tire on, but most are happy to do it. I think they get bored and like the challange. Works for me and is pretty cheap really. I have had to put 2 pounds of weights on before. It is not uncommon.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

There were some guys on the Middle TN board discussing it. Maybe "greenmachine" (or someone else) knows them and can get you an honest contact with legit info?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:00 PM

I've heard of the golf ball thing too. I did see a rather lengthy discussion about it on the POR board as was mentioned earlier.
I'm not saying if it works or not since I've never done it, but you may want to check the POR board for the discussion...it was interesting if nothing else.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:05 PM

I can say for a fact that the golf balls do work. A buddy of mine has some in his swampers(36") and gets practically no vibes on the road. He used 2 golf balls per tire but it works, trust me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 06:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Jim Lou golf balls are just a cheap replacement for other things folks use internally. There are companies that sell powder like material for big rig tires that goes INSIDE the tires. I won't claim to be able to explain it, but it works. Get off the POR bashing already. If you don't like their style, don't go there.

Elusive - There are TONS of threads about this on POR. Go there and search their forum. Other option: bb's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:35 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Elusive
I have worked in the tire business for 25 years . If you can find a GOOD truck tire shop it can be done easily . We do it all the time . It takes time to do it right and we charge about 35-50 bucks(CANADIAN) per tire but the customer goes away happy . It is a lengthy process and involves a removable weighted patch/patchs inside the tire . We mark the position of the rim/tire/ so if in the event of it coming off the bead , you can align the marks again . Find a competant shop , thats the key . Its common place where we have to do the same with Korean crap brand truck tires so the 38`s and up are a breeze if you got the right guy on the job [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff the Tire Dude
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

the only place i have found to pad balance around here is 2 hours away and it takes all day.. its also VERY expencive with the beadlocks(time consuming).
it seems i loose pretty big chunks of the lugs everytime I wheel, so i cant see paying that much for a temporary fix.
I'll report my golf ball test findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode