CJ...TF 727 Crossmember ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ...TF 727 Crossmember ?

Hey All,
Give me some ideas on a crossmember for a TF 727, going in a CJ7 frame.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:05 PM

Re: CJ...TF 727 Crossmember ?

it just mounts on a small rubber/metal mount, and 2 bolt holes?

maybe the factory cross member could be redrilled, or it would be easy to make a custom one.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just redrilled my oem crossmember. It doesn't line up very well though. As soon as I get my sorry butt a welder I'll fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The beauty of a 727 is it sits higher than the bottom of the frame rails. I'm making a crossmember out of 2"x2" tubing attached to the insides of the frame rails with 1.75", .120 wall round tubing with Wrangler leaf spring bushings in it. Then a flat skidplate will cover the frame with a small bumpout area for the lower part of the transfer case. The new crossmember/tranny mount will basically like this one. There will be a modification to allow my anti-wrap bar attach to it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 06:57 AM
Can't Get Enough

Is that the crossmember from "The ITCH" article? I am planning to do the same thing if the front output on the dana 300 will clear it.

BTW I emailed the guy that is building that Jeep (Mark Werkmeister) and asked about the TF999 gears in the TF727. He said he didn't build the tranny but would get me the telephone # of the builder who could explain what he did to make the gears fit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,

What article are you referring to? I'd like to read it. Why would a person put 999 gears in a 727? Or was it 727 gears in a 999? I'm looking for a way to beef up a 999 for a 360.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:09 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't have it in front of me but it is a series on a buildup in 4wd and Sport Utility Feb 2002 issue I believe. One of the reasons it really struck me is I am building something very similar (4.3, 727, shortened body). The reason you would swap in 999 gears is to get the 2.74 1st which is better in our applications than the 2.45 1st of the 727. If I had it to do over I would have tried to find a 999 (I would say it would have handled my 4.3 just fine). I have already begun the rerbuild of the 727 so it's kind of late now.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah that's from the itch article. A friend of mine has done the same thing and that's where I got the idea for it. The output of the 300 hangs down low enough to more than clear that crossmember. If you clock the 300 there could be clearance issues, but there already are clearance issues clocking a 300 with a 727 in front of it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats what I was looking for........
What thickness are you planning on using for the skidplate?
Are you just fabbing a piece attatched to the skidplate to support the transfer case or are you fabbing a seperate crossmember as well. I need help in these areas, not a fab. expert at all. I am building from the ground up using what I have learned here over the last two years and from some of the locals that I trust.

Thanks

Thanks for the help.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That crossmember will support the tranny and transfer case. The skidplate will be just that, a skidplate. I'm using 1/8" plate steel and it will not be attached to the crossmember, just the frame rails. I want to be able to remove it for service if necessary and not have a jack under the tranny to keep it from falling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode