(new pics )my rebuilt AX-15, wont shift, help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

(new pics )my rebuilt AX-15, wont shift, help

Anybody have any recommendations on testing it before I slap it in?
I got it for the small sum of $695.00.
I tried shifting it but its too hard to shift with my bare hands. how hard should it be to shift without the shifter on it?

also the input shaft seems to be lose with a little bit of run out. Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: I got my rebuilt AX-15 today

You really need the handle, just not enough leverage with little stubby. Fill it full of oil stick it in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

you are right, just do it.

During my initial inspection I have noticed that it came with the newer input shaft cover that doesnít have a mount point for the internal slave cylinder. The guys at the shop said I could easily swap it with my existing one. But, I need to know if there are torque specs. Also I still need to measure the pilot diameter to make sure it is not the newer TJ big pilot shaft. I guess Iíll just compare them when I get the old Trans out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:18 PM

the 4.0/large pilot size is .75"
the early wrangler is a half inch. im not that certain about the size, but it is the same size as a ba10/5. if you have a 10/5 laying around, measure it.

the small pilot ax-15 and ba10/5 use the same pilot bushing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks rock monkey.

I've attached a picture of my new trans. I measured the pilot and it is smaller then .75. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

the output sticks out about .5 inches.

also you can see the input shaft cover. shouldn't that have a stud for the slave cyl. or is that on the bell housing?

greg.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 788166-newtrns.jpg (71.5 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:50 AM

Re: (new photos) I got my rebuilt AX-15, need info

thats the long bearing retainer, thats what you want when you do the swap.

i cant remember if the slave pin is in the bellhousing or not. the one view that i was hopin for was a pic of the right side.

im hopin this isnt your daily driver, only vehicle. the most time consuming thing about this whole swap is waiting on parts. j&w autowreckers was my source for everything that i couldnt find from other places, mostly all the brackets.

the output shaft doesnt stick out very far, maybe a half inch at most. me personally, i would go with the external slave setup. blow a slave cylinder and you have to drop the tranny to change it, as you already know.

another note about the output shaft, is that it has a different spline count than the ba10/5.

this is a very short version of what is really needed, alot of the details are left out, but it does bring to light some points that i may have not said because i forgot to, or i had thought it was already understood.
http://www.dirtroad.com/article.htm

im still looking for my receipts from my swap, hopin ill be able to give ya some more part numbers.

my 87 is my daily driver, and i try to do upgrades that can get finished in minimal time. ive already 'bought' a car for a rental place when i did my engine swap. the worst part about doing any upgrade like this is waiting on parts.

as far as checking out the shifting of the tranny, the female end of a socket extension works fine, cant say for sure, but i think its the 3/8 drive.

i wrote more about this swap in allemay's ba10/5 question. i know i included part numbers and source info with that one.

this is a picture of the clutch setup that will be used in place of the internal slave.
http://jeepboard.com/crown/Crown%20Catalog.pdf (click on the clutch tab, then go to page 2 for master sets) the only parts that are different from the original are the throw-out fork and bearing. clutch disk, pressure plate and pilot bearing are the same. it is VERY important that you have a retaining spring on the pivot side (opposite of the slave cylinder) of the throw-out fork/lever

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

It doesnít have the stud for the slave. but, the Trans shop assured me that it was a 2 minuet job to swap the front input plate from my old Trans. Also, said that it wouldn't "invalidate" my warranty.

They also said that it was shipped in neutral and that sometimes the shift forks move during shipment and that I need to stick a screw driver into the reverse light switch hole and move the shaft forward to get into neutral.

p.s. edited per will's request[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 08:47 PM
Official Historian

Wouldn't validate or wouldn't invalidate your warranty?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

well my new trany is locked in gear. I tried the screw driver in the reverse switch and didn't see anything to move on the shift rail. Dam!. Do you think that I should send it back or pull it apart and get it shifting?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 09:36 AM

where did you get the tranny from? I've sene a few places that offer them for that price, one was Man Trans, the other was PRT, Phenoix Remanufacuted Trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode