YJ Inframe AMC V-8 headers with automatic tranny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

YJ Inframe AMC V-8 headers with automatic tranny

Alright, I'm looking to put an AMC V-8 in front of a TF-727 in a YJ.
I want to use headers (preferably Borla for the warranty) that will stay within the frame rails.
I know they only make headers like this for the 304/Manual-tranny CJ and say it wont work with the autobox. However, since YJ's frame is 4"s wider I think I could fit the 2" exhaust pipes (wrapped in header-tape) past the automatic just fine. I should be able to squeeze the cross-over pipe (also wrapped in header-tape) right in front of the tranny bellhousing, and continue the pipes rearwards until the x-case gets in my way.... I was thinking about running the exhaust into the roll-cage and wrapping the cage with header-tape or something similar to keep it cool enough to touch. The exhaust would finally exit on each side at the rear of the cage with some of those nifty big-rig flappers to keep water out. Since I'll be running LPG, fumes are a non-issue. Since I expect to 'wheel underwater a lot, I want the exhaust up as high as possible.

I also need some ideas of how to get the exhaust into and out of the cage without weakening the structure. And I've got to fit a pair of mufflers in there somehow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Re: YJ Inframe AMC V-8 headers with automatic tranny

btt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ Inframe AMC V-8 headers with automatic tranny

I managed to run in-frame headers on mine (although it's a CJ frame, which I think is more difficult). The passenger side pipe crosses over right before the tranny pan and collects to the driver's side pipe, which runs straight out the back (with a muffler in there somewhere). That header tape works wonders. I kept melting shifter cables, but not since the header wrap.

No ideas with the cage/exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode