8.8 or d44 and tj axle brackets, it's decsion time - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

8.8 or d44 and tj axle brackets, it\'s decsion time

My d35 may have taken a dump. I really dont' want to put any money into it. I know i want to upgrade to a d44 or 8.8. The decision is between an 8.8 from an exploder or a d44 from an xj. The d44's are much harder to find and searching with car-part.com more expensive than the 8.8. The d44 doens't have discs the 8.8 does, they both come with 3.55's which is what my current ratio is and there's no way i can swing front gears right now. Are there other things i should consider. What about yokes? I rember hearing the 8.8 ueses a goofy yoke or something like that? Also what shoudl i do about axle brackets? Can i have a shop cut my old ones off and weld them on to the new axle? Or do i have to get some fancy dancy axle brackets? This is an axle swap on a time frame too since i gota have my jeep back on the road by next thrusday morning.

Thanks,
BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: 8.8 or d44 and tj axle brackets, it\'s decsion time

after searching car-part.com there's 5 or so on there for $350 or less with in 2 hours of my house. I searched for a '97 exploder and it gave me axles for '95-'00 or so. Are they all the good axle with the bigger shafts and disc brakes?

Thanks,
BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Follow this link:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/susParts/axleBracketKits.php

Some reuse their brackets, but you will probably need to get an experieced shop to cut them off. Making sure that they know that you are wanting to reuse them. Or take your time when grinding and cutting...you aren't going to reuse the axle. So don't be afraid to grind into it and save as much material from the brackets. Cutting them off shouldn't be that hard, and would save you some $.

Take your lowest confirmed price(give the yard a call) to a local yard and see if they will price match. That may save you a trip.

You want the '95 and after if I remember corectly. But the ratio you are looking for isn't the most common. Most are 3.73, and there are tons of them(I looked and these things are like oil spills in a junkyard). IMO the 8.8 will serve you well, and will probably be the cheapest. But don't just concentrate on one axle...look around find out which is cheapest and between those 2 go with the cheapest. Who knows, you might just find a wrecked TJ with a D44 rear for $400...with the money you would save in time converting the other axles. Bolt in the rear, and buy gears for the front.

Enough typing, I must buy some eye protection so I can cut, weld and grind my winch mount out.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am getting ready to do the 8.8 swap in my yj. I also had 3.55 and regrettably not the money to swap front gears. I didn't have any trouble finding the 3.55 gears. Yes you also want 95 or newer(disc brakes and more splines) Shop around though one salvage yard I went to wanted $550 with exchange and the one I bought was $350 no exchange. Yes you have to buy a yoke to adapt to your stock driveshaft. It is made by spicer I paid 24bucks for mine. GOOD LUCK!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

I've got the MORE Axle bracket being over nighted to my house and tomrow after school i'm going up to miluakee to pick up an 8.8 for $250 w/ 3.55's in good shape (insurance wreck). Wish me luck, now i just gota find some one that will do the welding of the brackets and have them done by wensday at the latest.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode