CJ-TR ignition set and wiring harness - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

CJ-TR ignition set and wiring harness

Received my ignition kit the other day in the mail that I ordered from TR. I paid $215 for the setup and it is worth every penny, in fact some of the best money I have ever spent on the Jeep. I had to replace the Prestolite stuff so the kit was the different distributer/cap etc, directions and wiring harness. The wiring harness is the impressive part. I cannot believe the quality of the wire, the labels on the wires and the routing layout. The wires have awesome insulation and are labelled permanently. If you people do anything, spend the money on his harness. It will save you oodles of time and looks like the system belongs there from the factory. This thing is worth much more than he is charging.

Aarons been taking some heat here and this post is not to divert attention or kiss up. The man does good work and is as cuddly as a porcipine. Always has and always will be like that-live with it. I still have learned much from him and have taken a punch or two from him too. But he really deserves credit on his kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: CJ-TR ignition set and wiring harness

What wasn't included to do the upgrade? Thinking about it myself.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:19 AM

Thanks for the good words! I could use some right about now!
It's good to have your work appreciate.
Most people are very satisfied with the harness. It's better than the original Jeep harness, and it's the same quality Ford uses in their racing program. They are made at the same factory with all the factory connectors, so it's as good as the Ford Motorsports Harness, just $150 less...

What Brian got was the Distributor with springs, Distributor cap upgrade with rotor, Engine wiring harness and the Delco alternator adapter.
I include the correct wire crimp connectors and on some of the kits, heat shrink tubing where needed.

If you make it clear you are switching from Prestolite or Motorcraft alternator to a Delco alternator, I throw in a fusible link too. (Just the fusible link, You have to supply the 8 Ga or 10 Ga. primary charging wire.)

Oh, I almost forgot, Instructions that are as clear as mud...
<hr>

He still has to supply the igniting coil and module.

He will also have to cut some of the wires for length.
I can't tell where people are going to mount alternators/ voltage regulators, solenoids, ect, so I wire tie the crimp connector to the wire, and they can cut to fit and crimp on the end.
There is 3 places you have to do that. Alternator or Voltage regulator, solenoid and main harness connection.

Here is a pic of two upgrade harnesses on my work table...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 787294-Harness2.gif (55.7 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Mud in my Veins

Aaron,
I'm having a tough time imagining where this harness would interface with the existing harness. Does it replace the entire harnes from the firewall outward? My Commando has 5 or 7 conductor connector block at the firewall and everything outboard of that is pretty well garbage (old, cracked, etc). Plus it has several wires that are no longer needed (stuff for the old Motorola VR?). Would your harness get rid of that? If the answer is yes, let me know how to get you the cash, and send me list of everything you offer!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Again I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like just about the whole under hood wiring harness except the branch for the horn, washer pumps and front head lights are included. I will fish a wire for the oil pressure sender and water temp sender also. If you have an electric choke guess that wire for you also. Looks like room in the harness for that. This harness is too cool! It could become the nicest thing on the Jeep!!

Thats how I see it but I know Aaron has replied to you also. It is worth every penny.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:19 AM

Now see, there is the rub,
I build everything from scratch except for the harness, and that I spend about an hour modifying so it connects easily with the screwed up way AMC did the Jeep harness.

You have to tell me EXACTLY what you have now, EXACTLY what you are going to use or want to use, and I'll custom build your harness to fit the application...
<hr>
As I'm taking heat for now, there is no such thing as 'Opinion' in ignition systems.
There are the facts, and they are carved in stone. You have to build to conform to the facts.
And the 'One size fits all' guys are all morons trying to steal a buck from you.
One size fits nothing.
I refuse to sell junk.

<hr>
With the $75 harness kit...
Start by laying out the harness right over the top of your engine and figuring out where you want your components...

Distributor and coil are pretty well fixed for position so start by just wire tieing the distributor or coil connector to your current distributor and working backwards from there.

Lay out the harness the way you think it should go for your application.
Primary and alternator leads are long enough you can get away with a BUNCH of configurations, and you are NOT restricted to factory locations...

Figure out where you want the module, and screw it down

If you start at the coil positive terminal, strip back the wrapping on your harness, you will find a splice where the primary ignition wire (usually 10 Ga. or 12 Ga.) goes two or three different directions.
You will,
1. Locate that splice.
2. Cut away the old harness.
3. Cut my primary ignition feed wire for length (They are CLEARLY marked and I leave them WAY too long just in case you want to do something tricky).
4. Splice my harness onto that Factory 10 Ga. feed wire.
(This way your factory tach and ignition switch still work. If you are using a switch panel, connect the primary to the Ignition switch feed)
5. Use the supplied heat shrink to seal the splice.

6. Trim for length the solenoid 'I' terminal wire and crimp on the supplied 'Eye' connector.
7. Plug in the distributor, module &amp; coil. You now have the factory connectors that Ford/ AMC/ Jeep used for the DuraSpark ignition and the Motorcraft distributor.
8. Have a beer and pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

The only thing you have left is to cut to length and connect the alternator/ voltage regulator wire and run the primary charging wire.

If you specify what alternator you are using, I can supply the correct diagram for hook-up, and I can supply the correct connector plug with diode built in for the Delco SI series internally regulated alternator. That also comes with a 14 Ga. fusible link for the primary charging wire from the alt. 'Batt' terminal to the battery cable side of the starter solenoid. Use the fusible link on the solenoid end.
($10 extra when you buy a harness, $15 if you don't buy a harness.)

<hr>

Brian also bought a complete distributor.
He got a reman distributor that I took apart and 'Tweaked' (them secrets ain't free!).
All new consumable internals, new vacuum advance, aftermarket springs, indexed correctly, updated Premium Cap &amp; Rotor.
The distributor for a V-8 is $160 out the door.
<hr>

The only option that he didn't go for was the E-core coil connector.
The harness comes with a Ford style canister coil connector, a very good design, but the coil it's self is a little dated.
The Ford style E-core coil connector allows you to use the new style HEI coil, and it DOES make a difference!
The connector is $15 if you by it with a harness, $20 if you don't.
(I will send you the older style canister coil connector wired to be used as an 'Add On', just in case you have a coil failure and the round coil is all that's available. How's that for flexibility and redundancy!)

Attached Images
File Type: gif 788164-Harness complete 2.gif (90.5 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:31 AM

Alt. kit pic
Attached Images
File Type: gif 788169-Delco Alt Upgrade.gif (51.3 KB, 4 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 01:34 AM

Coil Choices pic
Attached Images
File Type: gif 788172-Coil Compair 1.gif (74.6 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode