Need some POWER for my 4.0 jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need some POWER for my 4.0 jeep

93 YJ 4" susp and 2" body.
What do you guys think that I can do to increase my horse power and ft lbs torque. Here is my ideas tell me what you think, for the most power for the $. Please remember that this is my daily driver for a little while.

-Header, tubo muffler and completely new exhaust system.
-throttle body spacer.
-New electronics (plugs, wires, coil).
-High perf. cam. (I have done a little research and I cannot find a supplier. Any that you know of?).

Any information that I can get would be help full. Push'n those 35" tires is pretty hard for my 6cyl 4.0.
This is to hold me over till I get time and money to put a ford 9", D44's, 4.88 gears, some lockers and a SOA kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Need some POWER for my 4.0 jeep

Save your money and do the gears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:53 PM

Try HESCO or Clifford for 4.0 performance parts...although I agree with Dorfs do the gears.
http://www.hescosc.com/index.html
http://www.cliffordperformance.com/home.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Addict

What he said. Gears. That is your problem.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:20 PM

Yup the gears. I know my 4.2 YJ runs weak with small 31's, but when i put on the TJ's stock tiers on the YJ it seems fine. IF you think your 4.0 does not make enough power, try a carter carb and 4.2 head...

The exhaust will not do much in performance or sound. Coil would be good, but i dont know about the plugs. The chip will add a little bit more power. I would agian agree with the above -get gears-!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Jeep will never run at proper speeds no matter what you do to the engine with larger tires and stock axle gearing. Here is a quick, cheap trick for a couple extra ponnies though. Although it won't be noticable until the gearing is corrected.
Remove the air intake hose that goes between the air box and the throttle body. Stick a couple of fingers into one of the ends (I forget which end) and pull out the funnel shaped cone restrictor that is pressed into the hose. Your HO 4.0 is now running the same numbers as a Cherokee HO 4.0.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 02:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I wouldn't say its quite as easy as sticking a couple of fingers in and pulling it out. I had to use a screwdriver and punch the sucker out. I did notice a slight increase in the seat of the pants dyno. Also, you might want to look into a "Type R" sticker, or a set of racing stripes. I've heard rumors of 10-15hp increase from just one of those. Now if you could figure a way to slap a 2ft spoiler on the back end, I could garuntee you atleast 25hp increase, and 35ft/lbs of torque, no quesitons asked[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

O, and BTW - GEARS!!! I have a 6cyl and 35's and have no problems getting up and going. Although I would love some more power on occasion. But my axle wraps so bad right now it don't matter[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the 4.0 with 35" tires, before I did the axle swap it was pretty weak. Now with 4.88 it is close to perfect.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:38 PM
Veteran

as if it hasnt been said enough, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, GEARS, and the msd ign is nice too
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Veteran

The short answer is: gears!

The expensive one: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.accuratepower.com>www.accuratepower.com</a>

I'm running 36" with 4.10 gears and it's not low enough. I need to go to 4.88 but I need to find a Waggie D44 front first. Anyone ?!!

Course I'm still runing the damned restrictor funnel (my finger broke in it trying to remove it) and no spoiler... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode