Is paint thinner suitable as a surface prepper? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Is paint thinner suitable as a surface prepper?

I've done the wash with soap and try to dry, but I usually still end up with rust..and its been very frustrating.
I'm wondering if I can use paint thinner to clean up a surface and make it ready to prime.
Thanks for your input.
Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:12 PM
mindbender

Re: Is paint thinner suitable as a surface prepper?

I understand that lacquer thinner, acrylic thinner, etc should be used to remove dust for final prep depending upon the nature of the primer that you used. My experience suggests that it is important to let the primer dry thoroughly before wipedown with a thinner - or - the primer comes off with the wipedown. I use a tack rag for the very final prep for dust removal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I meant to clean bare metal surfaces before they are primed, but it sounds like it would be fine by what you said.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:14 PM
jeepfiend

Joey, for bare surfaces it is best to use an etching wash prior to application of primer. It is even better to use an epoxy primer on bare metal. PPG has an etching wash that works quite well. There are also some etching primers available. Also, I would use a wax and grease remover. As I recall the old PPG designation was something like DX330, I am not sure what it is now. It has been a while since I bought any. I usually use the wax and grease remover, then use the etching wash, then apply an epoxy primer, and the sanding primer over that. As far as sanding primers, PPG used to have one called K200 that was quite nice. It is a catalyzed primer and can be mixed for either heavy fill or light fill. There is another one called NP35, I think that is right. The K200 is a light tannish yellow color and the NP35 is a purplish red. I know these are all PPG products, but most companies will have an equivalent product. Remember, do right, do it once. The above products require a little more care and attention to detail but the final results will be far superior to anything you can achieve with a spray can of cheap laquer primer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fiend..
Unfortunatly I have already primed the surfaces.
I did use the self-etching primer, but ended up using paint thinner to clean the surface.
It shouldn't have any wax or grease because 90% of the jeep has been sanded down pretty well.
I'm having someone else paint it, and rattle canning it with primer.
I don't have access to a gun anymore.Fortunatly, I don't have too much that I have to prime.
If it doesn't come out right, I'll have maaco fix it up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not really familiar with the products you described but I work at a small paint store in Phoenix, we do only industry sales, no retail, we don't get any where we are anyway. But I was going to paint my jeep, thankfully my jeep has very little rust but there is not moisture here in AZ anyway. I would suggest just sanding down to bare metal, putting on a good rust resistant oil primer and then I'm top coating with Our personal brand of a water ruducible alkyd which basically, very simply terms is a water base paint, cleans up with water that converts to an oil based when it dries. A lot of the fence guy here use it allong with a couple trailer companies, It cheeper than automotive paint but can look just as good. I plain on beatting it up so repaints are an issue, maybe once a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode