steering arm question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

steering arm question

I picked up a dana 44 with the flat tops for my new cross over steering arms. My question is can I leave both sides at the ten degree angle or whatever as long as I cut the steering arms to correct for the angle at the tie rod and steering rod points? I just think it would be easier to level the little bit at the end of the steering arm opposed having to mill and tap the flat tops. Cause no matter what I do I can't mill the drivers side cause the studs are already in at the angle from the original Chevy steering. I hope this all makes sense. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:11 PM

Re: steering arm question

the angle doesnt matter so much, both MUST be milled thoough.

the one with the stuids is milled form teh factory, the other isnt, it has to be milled.

if it isnt flat, the bolt on arm will never get held like it should, friction is what holds it NOT the bolts/studs, they only provide clamping force.

Its easy and quick to mill it flat, I did mine at work during lunch one day...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it is already flat from the factory. the entire flat surface is just tilted like the drivers side about ten degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:27 PM

I didnt think the passenger side was milled too? oh well, maybe Im learning something ( chevys arent my thing, and have never been donors for MY parts)

the angle I dont think matters,most premade arms have SOME angle built in to sort of preset the rod ends, or put them at "ease" while the truck sits level.

I guess alot depends on what ends your using, and what arms, and what the tie rod and drag link angles are going to be at rest.

oh yeah, there is a difference between "flat" and "milled flat" ALOT of difference in this case.

I cant say for sure now, youve got me wondering, but unless its flat to within a few thou over its total area its not good enough ( for me at least)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:40 PM

if you havent seen this, there a couple of hours of reading here, for my dial up at least!

check it out.

<a target="_blank" href=http://billavista.tripod.com/Steering/Index/SteeringIndex.html>http://billavista.tripod.com/Steering/Index/SteeringIndex.html</a>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes both sides are completely flat and tilted about ten degrees. But this brings me to asking what should a resting angle be for the arms? Both the tue rod and drag link are completely level. So should the holes for the TRE's and such be vertical or set at some angle? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode