TJ/YJ Flex PICS!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

TJ/YJ Flex PICS!!

Here's some sweet side-by-side pics on the same "obstacle" to compare the age old question of what flexes better, coils or leafs. You even get to see Elusive's goofy mug in "SuperJeep" [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Hard to say but it looks like Clifford is closer than I though it would be on the flex-o-meter...

...and if you're a tree huggin hippy homo go cry somewhere else...the tree is fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 06:10 PM

Re: TJ/YJ Flex PICS!!

Nice pics dawg. Looks like both did a fine job on the flex-O-meter.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:24 PM

I thought you were supposed to stop when you lifted a tire into the air?

Both Jeeps flex very nicely though. I'm still going to convert from leafs to coils to make the wheel-base stretch and improved approach and departure angles easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

nice pics guys.. i have a friend here on the ship with me.. i have converted him from the dark side... he wants to put leafs in his tj...
since its flexes just as good for a 1/3 of the cost..

hey sycho15.. if you are looking to extend to wheel base.. look into cherokee springs.. the centering pin is offset in them.. and that will push the axles out somewhat.. dont have the exact measurements on hand tho.. (its what im converting to when i return.. )2.5" springs.. with 39" boggers.. and some serious body chopping.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:51 PM

I don't think cherokee springs will quite do it for me. I am looking to extend the wheel-base by about a foot I think. I'll go as far up front as it takes to get a greater-than 180* aproach angle with 36" tires. In the rear I will extend it as far as it takes to get a decent drive-shaft angle with a TF-727/Klune-V/NP-208 combination. I don't have the Klune-V yet but I am planning ahead for it. I am only planning on a 3-4" lift, and major body trimming/rebuilding for the rest of the clearance. When I get the Klune-V I'll raise the driveline enough to run a flat skidplate.

The setup will be something like this:
YJ frame with coils at each corner
LPG 401/manual valve-bodied TF-727/Klune-V/NP-208
Grand Wagoneer D44 front axle with 4.10 gears and Detroit locker
Grand Wagoneer D44 rear axle with 4.10 gears and spool (possibly full-float conversion)
36x12.5" TLS SXs

I'm trying to build it fairly light-weight, but powerful. Something that can blast through mud and sand, but with gearing options (thanks to the Klune-V) low enough to do rock-crawling. The only thing I'm worried about it that the rear axle won't hold up. I expect to spend some time in the air and also plan on trussing both axles.

Eventually, years later, I'll get around to swapping a set of Unimog front axles and 44" tires (maybe) [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 03:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

man that is one ugly s.o.b in that black jeep!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:33 AM

I'm going to coil the rear of mine. Just ordered the DOM tubing!!! Hey pat....whats that whistling sound?? oh never mind, your on a boat aren't you!!!!LOL Looks good fellas. Now we just need to get together and ride. Monteagle Labor Day? Tellico October?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode