New Altenator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Altenator

I need to upgrade my Alt. I want to run some lights and a winch and I don't think my stock one will do. Without buying a brand new one, what kind will swap in easily, or from what vehicle does it come from. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 05:49 PM

Re: New Altenator

First off, I just can't imagine a '91 vehicle coming out with anything less than an 85 amp alternator, and that's enough to do the job with the winch if you have enough battery.... (More battery---GOOD!)

Didn't '91 have the little Nippon-Denso high output alternator?
I'm not totally sure, maybe '91 had a internally regulated Delco SI alternator, but I don't think so...
'91 was the change over year, so I'm not sure...

If you have fuel injection, you can not change the alternator.
There is a factory high output model, but I think those little Nippon-Denso alts. started at about 85 amps and went up from there...

85 amps should be enough for a winch (provided you have enough battery).
<hr>

Anyway, if you have the Delco SI series alternator, look for one from a late 80's car with power everything...
Those were from 85 to 135 amps. It will more than likely plug right in where your came out.

If you have the Nippon-Denso alternator (little cage looking thing) it's voltage regulator is controlled by the computer. You can't do anything but upgrade with a factory (read expensive) higher output Nippon-Denso.
If you use anything else, you will damage the engine control computer unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode