Harbor Freight 2000lb cheapy winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 03:52 PM
Wrangler88

Harbor Freight 2000lb cheapy winch

my neighbor gave me one of those chicago electric portable winches., witha 5mm 30ft cable it claims it can pull 2000lb of dead weight and 6000lbs of rolling wieght. now i never really would buy one of these but since i got it free, i because to start thinking, i know it really really cheezy, but would it be worth mounting to the front of my jeep, i could make my own winch mount and everything so it wouldn't cost me anything, i wouldn't use it for anything extreme, but maybe for a "lil help" if needed, or would it be a waste of my time, anyone use one of these before? thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 04:02 PM

Re: Harbor Freight 2000lb cheapy winch

Well, if you can stand all the ribbing you'll get. . . 2000 pounds is a lot if you're carrying it up to the attic, but it won't go very far towards getting you unstuck. And 30' of cable isn't much, especially if you have to double it to get enough pull.

Remember, once you hook up the winch cable, you lose the ability to rock the Jeep back and forth. Unfortunately you can't use a weak winch to supplement your other efforts. Practically, it's one or the other, not both working together.

Some day it might be enough to get you out. I sure wouldn't invest a whole lot of money, time or effort into it, though. I think the best application for those would be to load a boat onto a trailer.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 04:26 PM

How about making it so it can mount on a receiver and use it on the rear? Better than nothing if you needed it backwards and you could take it off for most the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Official Historian

That's probably what I have mounted on the front of mine. It was on it when I got it and I haven't had funds to replace it yet but it's never let me down yet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 787261-IM000219-s.JPG (49.3 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:38 PM
Addict

If you did mount it it would come in handy for lifting things like deer after a good hunt or helping to get a 4wheeler unstuck but as far as your jeep goes I wouldn't use it to get it unstuck. Most of the 2000lbs winches out there make you stand right next to the winch while working it! If that light cable would brake which is very likely you could end up in a world of hurt, or anyone with in cables reach! Save up and buy a good used winch but remember that when your stuck in the mud your winch will be pulling 1 and 1/2 time your jeeps weight at the minimum! The deeper the mud the more weight it will be pulling! So get something big enough! Rig this one up in the Garage and use it as an engine hoist or something! I have one from a boat lift and it comes in real handy for getting axles out of the bed of my truck! If you do put it on the jeep you will use it becouse its there even when you yourself doent think it will be strong enough and that is were the problems will start!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 12:31 AM
Official Historian

FWIW, mine has a long enough remote that it reaches the driver's seat.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 12:57 AM

Hide it under the rear someplace.. then you can use it to pull your [censored] around if you need to pivot on a dime..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode