258 leaking around distributor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

258 leaking around distributor

My 258 seems to be leaking oil from around the distributor. Is this a simple fix like an O-ring or something? I've never pulled the distributor on this engine, so just wondering what to expect.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:04 AM

Re: 258 leaking around distributor

There's a gasket under the distributor base.

To change it, remove the cap and make a chalk mark somewhere that will tell you which way the rotor is pointing. It doesn't hurt to tap the starter to get the rotor pointing at the side of the block. Also make a mark that will show which way the the distributor is oriented. I make a mark showing which way the vacuum advance diaphragm is pointed.

Then disconnect the low voltage wires, remove the hold-down bolt and clamp, and lift the distributor out. Watch how the rotor turns as you lift the distributor out.

Do not turn the engine by any means until the distributor is back in!

Clean the gasket surfaces and put the new gasket in place on the distrubutor. A thin film of grease will keep it in place. Then position the rotor where it was as it came out of the engine, and put the distributor back in. The rotor should turn and wind back up where it started.

If it goes all the way down but ends up pointing a different way, you need to pull it back up and start over until you get it right.

The distributor drives the oil pump. Sometimes the pump will not line up with the drive in the bottom of the distributor. In that case, the dist will not go quite all the way down. Pull it up and use a screwdriver in the hole to turn the pump slightly.

Once it's all the way down, and everything is pointing in the right direction, put the clamp back on. The engine should start right up, but it still should be timed with a light.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:08 AM
Old Hand

More than likely it the gasket as described above. Or in my case it was both the gasket and the actual distributor. It was so worn that oil was leaking from the distributor itself. Start with the gasket. But if it continues I would suspect the dist next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, now the real kicker: Where can you get the gasket? None of the local places seem to have it, and I couldn't find it in the 4wd Hardware or Quadratec catalog.

If it was the distributor itself, would it leak at the base near the engine block, or would it come up under the cap? Mine's leaking at the base.

I like the quote on the bottom of Quadratec's engine page, tho':
<font color=red>"Need alot of parts, why not try an entire Replacement Engine?"</font color=red> LOL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Old Hand

If it at the block it's just the gasket. I'll look for the part # and report back..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Old Hand

I found it faster than I thought...
It's a Fel-Pro #70051. It cost $3.50. It's a pretty universal gasket b/c the package was stamped "AMC, Jeep/Eagle, 4, 6, V8, 1967-95."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 02:34 PM

It's just a flat piece of gasket paper. I've made similar ones with a piece of gasket paper and good scissors. ANY reasonable parts house should have gasket paper, and it's handy to have around.

You can make complicated gaskets out of it, as for a water pump. You put a sheet of gasket paper on the pump, and then tap lightly around the holes and edges with a ballpein hammer. On cast iron you can tap hard enough to actually cut the paper. On aluminum, you just want to mark it and then cut it with a razor knife.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I found someone that has it. I'll pick one up and see if that takes care of it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 10:31 AM
Old Hand

I just remembered the first time I replaced the gasket I used the paper Fel-pro and it worked fine. Then I replaced the distributor itself and no-one had the fel-pro in stock so I used a rubber o-ring. Still going strong. Either way, you'll be in good shape.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 258 leaking around distributor -unable to idle

Just curious, I think I have this same sort of issue on my 258. The distributor lower housing actually broke the last time I was out climbing hills.

Would this oil leak and/or lower distributor housing being busted cause the jeep to not idle?

What I mean by no idle is I can not get out of the jeep, I must keep giving it gas. It runs pretty poorly right now and am getting ready to start tearing it apart to see if I can track down the cause. Was just curious if this could be the cause of the idling issue.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode