Fixing a hole in my soft top??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Fixing a hole in my soft top???

Well a tree has a decided it wanted into my jeep. The result is a nice hole in my sift top just before the top bow. I have a bestop super top with that denim finish cloth. How would I go about fixing the hole. I am thinking about stiching it together with some spider wire fishing line, and then RTVing it to seal it up. What have you guys done to fix holes in the soft tops? I tried the electrical tape cover up this past weekend, but it never worked, I dont even know why i tried it. I have fixed zippers before by stitching them with that nylon type fishing line, but never a direct hole in the top. Thanks for any help.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Fixing a hole in my soft top???

how big is the hole and where exactly is it? How much tension does it recieve when stretched when cold? I like the spider wire idea! just wondering if it would get too much tension and you end up with a bigger hole.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

If it is a small hole, stitch it up and apply an iron on patch (from Wally World, cloth supply store etc..) on the inside for waterproofing. Bondex is one name brand for the iron on patches. Bestop recommends the iron on patches. You may want to call them to be sure you don't get the top too hot applying the patch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if it's small enough I was thinking an inner tube patch kit.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:42 PM

Consider taking it to a shop that does convertible tops. They have sewing machines, nylon thread, sealer, maybe even a piece of matching material. Since you can take the top off and walk in with it, the charge should be reasonable. A guy charged me $10 to patch a 6" rip, and it held for years until the top was completely worn out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the replys guys. The spot that has the hole it right before the top bow, o it is at an area that has tension on it. I didnt know about the patches. I dodnt think the cloth was the kind that you could put an iron too. I was imagining the top just melting as I tried to put an iron on patch to it. I am going to to the repair myself, because i am cheap and I dont have access to the canvas shops, because i work so far away from town and when i get into town the shops are long closed. I have to get off my butt to get this done, because the rainy season is starting, adn the hole will be right over my wifes head when she is in the jeep.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:32 PM

Go to a boating store and get some Dacron sail-repair tape. Tape it up on the bottom, silicon the tear up top and then put a piece of this tape on top as well. You can stitch through the tape if you think it will need the extra strength.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 11:41 PM

Whatever you do don't drive around with it too long..

I had a "Like new" top when I bought my Jeep.. the thing lasted maybe 200 kms. I even had the company I bought my Jeep off of re-stitch all the worn thread areas.

Then one day about a week after I bought my Jeep the thing just self destructed on the highway. a few tears here and there.. when I got home about 20 minuites later, I pretty much pulled the frame out of the soft-top without taking the soft top off first.

One of these days I want to make the remains into a bikini/tonneau/windjammer, that will actually seal (sort-of) around the cockpit area.. see if I can't keep the Jeep a little warmer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 11:50 AM
Kingsmedic

I would contact Bestop. I think the iron on patch would be best.
Of course, you could just pull the drain plug on the passenger side and get your wife a shower cap!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 01:23 PM

I have the Bestop black vinyl top and it has cloth like liner on the interior. I used blue denim patches from Wall martís sewing section. They are made for Levi jeans and I secured them to the interior side of the top not the exterior.
I was worried about melting my top also but the patches bonded without melting or distorting anything.
They work to this day with only one slight peel on one patch, which I just ironed back on. I didnít use diddly on the exterior of the rip. I also patched the passenger door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode