why did you pick that model jeep?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why did you pick that model jeep??

i've been watching the board here for a few weeks now and trying to get a handle on who runs what vehicle and i'm just wondering why you went with the cj/yj/tj (or other) you're driving? i'm sure there are a lot of variables to consider, but will some of you share?

my question mostly stems from the fact that i'm new to the jeep world and while i own a 00 cherokee, i know nothing about them. i'm marrying a guy (4 more days of freedom...) who is totally jeep crazy and i'm really considering getting another jeep so that i can join in all the fun. problem is, i don't know which would suit me the best and i like how all of them look (hey, i'm a female, looks ARE important!). it'll probably get used for moderate trails (we live in md so there's not that much around) some daily driving and the jamborees/car shows in the area. thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:37 PM
Official Historian

Re: why did you pick that model jeep??

For me it was what I could afford to buy in 1994. Since then, it's just kept evolving. If I were to start fresh, I'd go with a YJ or TJ. That is just based on them having stronger frames than my several times patched CJ frame.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well, after having two XJ's and a ZJ, I settled on my CJ5. reasons being, Nostalgia, Character, Simplicity, and my dad and uncles had them when I was a toddler and always wanted one for myself. Also, I'm able to do 90% of the work myself. not to mention annual insurance and tax come in at under $270 total [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 01:53 PM

Pretty much the same as Will; when I bought mine there were CJ5s and CJ7s. The boss talked me into getting a 7 because we had two kids and the 7 has more room in back.

If I were to replace it now, I'd go with something older, probably about like my '78 because it's less controlled by regulations; I can pretty much do what I want to it without having to get permission from the EPA. I'd be tempted to go for a 5, though, because the shorter wheelbase is an advantage in tight places.

In your case, it should hinge on how much you might want to work on it and modify it. The newer TJs are pretty capable reliable, and comfortable, so they're a good choice for a combination off roader and daily driver.

But if I were your fiance, I'd want you with me in my Jeep, showing off my skill and taking turns with the driving. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And Congratulations! I hope you have a wonderful life together!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My preferance was actually a Scrambler, but I couldn't find one that was in good shape for the money I had to spend. So I looked for the besr avalable Jeep for the money.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Veteran

since i was a kid and saw my first 5 that was all i ever wanted. initially i liked the look, the round headlights (he he), the rounded doors, i figured a jeep should look good without doors since they wouldnt be on anyway. as i got older and finally owned my first cj5 i realized advantages while rock crawling (i could fit places other people couldnt), and the fact that i could easily fix the jeep (after a little trial & error), now i've had had and sold (regretfully) a 78 cj-5, a 73 cj-5, a 95 cherokee, and a 95 yj and have gone back to the basics a 78 cj-5 that is ... i just like em better thats it (doesnt really matter what you start with, it's what you turn it into). oh yeah and congrats (i'd really like a cj-6 someday though :-) )
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

doesnt really matter what you start with, it's what you turn it into

I like that!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:37 PM

purchased - '76 CJ5 with a swapped in 360 V8 and a T150 for $1500

the why:
- cheap
- tranny was near death, and would give me cause to do a 4-speed swap
- very strong-running motor, recently rebuilt
- easy to work on
- no emissions or computer stuff to mess with
- Ralph Nader hates them, and I hate Ralph Nader
- no ugly square headlights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 03:05 PM

I just got a 2002 TJ Sport. I highly recommend one.
Reasons:
No Vacuum disconnects on axles
D-44 axle available
Strong transmission and engine
Good u-joints in front axle
Fuel injection
AC works
cruise control
Easy to put on and remove both soft and hard tops -- 5 minutes for either. One person 5 minutes with soft top -- try that with a stock CJ.
disconnect swaybars and you can do magic with the jeep.
Low/no major repair costs for 3yr-36k miles.
7-year 100k mile powertrain warranty
Good financing deals

And one more that is worth mentioning -- not already ratted out by the last owner. I know what has happened and how it was taken care of. I know what has broken and what was fixed.

I would say that the choice depends on what you have a budget for and what you want. Do you want AC/Heat? Doors? Hard top? Strong brakes? Modern conveniences -- CD player, cruise control, over drive? Are you willing to do maintenance and major repairs yourself -- especially on a trail? A stock engine swap will cost a normal person $3000-$4000 if you pay to have it done professionally at a shop. Are you willing to put up with the weirdness of older vehicles -- carbs off camber, vacuum disconnects on axles, weak transmissions, locking hubs, questionable electrical system, rusted bolts, leaky engines, etc. Just worth asking yourself. I think that sort of thing is fun, but not for a vehicle that I have to drive back and forth to work every day.

John
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 03:27 PM

I started off wheeling in my ZJ. And after looking at the costs associated with building it into a more capable trail rig I decided the money would be better spent on a second trail vehicle.
So I bought a cheap '79 CJ-7 with a good frame and somewhat beat up glass body and built it into what I needed. I can still drive it daily if I want to.

If I were you I would keep my XJ and build up a CJ or YJ for a trail vehicle. Also...the XJ's can be built into extremly capable trail rigs. Its just a matter of how comfortable you feel wheeling a new vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode