400 Chevy in a CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

400 Chevy in a CJ7

I can get a 400 small block for free. It ran good when my brother in law took it out. I was thinking that I could put this in my cj7, I have the chevy 4 cyl. in there now. I know that I would have to do something for the radiator. Do you think that this would be a good swap. I know that it will be harder on my transmission,clutch. I could use the extra HP. With the 31" tires it pings all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: 400 Chevy in a CJ7

If you do that you better put a wood block under the throttle and carry a trailer for all the parts that are going to fall off. other than that go fer it. BTW I thought brother-in-laws just built back porches....go figure
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

This brother-in-law is a welder. I will keep the motor stock. He told me to take him to the swamp and he would give me the motor so I did. When we took his jeep we took out the front end, I let up before we broke something. The tires did not clean out very good,31"BFG AT's. I need more HP and bigger tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 05:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

My friend's Cherokee had a 400 in it. Seemed somewhat decent until it blew up!! I've heard the 400 is probably one of Chevy's worst motors. But that could be a load of crap. One thing I've also heard, and it seems true, is that 400's like to overheat a LOT! My friend's did, and that was probably one of the big factors of it blowing up. Anyway, good luck!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The more cubes you have and the more horsepower you make, the more heat you build. The 400 small block is a good motor and is very capeable of making silly amounts of HP. If you can swing a new cooling system, then go for it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:30 PM
VirginiaJeeper

400s tend to overheat because the water passages found on most small block chevys between the cylinders were removed to make room for the bigger pistons. Other than this, they are pretty much the same as any other small block chevy. There are tons of adapters & special parts (radiators) available to help with this swap, but as others have said, be prepared to start upgrading everything else behind this powerhouse.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

If I do I will take it easy on the gas.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 02:27 AM

The Little 400 was a VERY good engine, and it can be made into quite the little side street brawler!
(I used to punch them out to 415 without crank work, 427 with crank work...)

Most of the guys that broke them did something stupid to cause it, so I don't have much sympathy.
The over heat guys need to learn about radiator shrouds and head steam holes...

The guys are correct about the broken parts...
In stock trim that little 400 is going to do about 2.5 times the torque you have now, so that light duty drive train is soon to be abstract loose parts... some identifiable, some not...[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (I love broken parts!)

I'd take the engine, then I'd start looking for a new trans, transfer, ect. to go with it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:26 AM

One note that I mentioned in the past about 400's; to my knowledge they never came with a 4 speed, and they are externally balanced. This means you can't just bolt on any small block flywheel, you either have to find an aftermarket, or have one balanced for the 400. No biggie, just don't want you bolting everything together, starting it up, and shaking your molars out. I t cost me $60 at a machine shop.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:54 AM

NY_Weasel is correct, no factoy issued flywheels.

The harmonic balancer and flexplate are externally balanced, and will not interchange with the rest of the SBC stuff or the BBC stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode