Overheating Cherokee Chief - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Overheating Cherokee Chief

Kinda off-topic, but it is a Jeep problem. My brother has a '78 Cherokee Chief, stock 360 2bbl, stock TH400 auto tranny with an additional tranny cooler, 35" BFG muds and 4.56 gears. The thing runs at a normal operating range according to the cluster gauge (no temp numbers, just in the middle of the "normal" range) every day when he goes to work, and also at the same temperature when we're on the trail. However, when he hooks up his camper, it overheats pretty quickly; Thursday he got a whole 15 miles down the road before it overheated. He then proceeded to pull the thermostat, but that didn't help anything. He ended up getting the camper pulled home and the Jeep to a friends house on a trailer. The camper he has is a pretty big pop-up, but I saw bigger things getting pulled this weekend by smaller vehicles. I never had any overheating problems when I towed a similar size pop up with my CJ, and I only had a 2-row at the time (but a 258). The overheating problem also happened when he had a smaller pop-up, which was before he put the additional tranny cooler on. I thought maybe it could have something to do with the origonal 24 year old radiator getting plugged up, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Since it's time for a new radiator, I suggested he get a 4-row anyway. Any input would help. Thanks

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:18 PM

Re: Overheating Cherokee Chief

Are any of those tranny coolers robbing air from the rad? anything infront of the rad. I'd probaly invest in a new rad, if he can fit it a 4 row would work good probaly.
Chad
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:07 AM

Re: Overheating Cherokee Chief

I had a 69 waggie and that thing would over heat all the time. I read some where that you should cut some holes in the fire wall to let some of the heat out. The trailer towing thing was a problem for me to. I don't think it makes a differance what size trailer you pull. I would put some holes in the fire wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode