OT: Need help with my future daily driver's engin - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT: Need help with my future daily driver\'s engin

This has nothing to do with jeeps, so don't kill me. I aquired a free 87 nissan sentra with a bad motor. I couldn't pass it up. It's got new brakes, tires, exhaust, axles and even a brand new HEAD!!! But, when I put in another motor, it is only running on cyl. 1 and 2. I'm getting spark, so when I did the compression check, 1 and 2 are at about 150, and 3 and 4 are around 30. Now keep in mind, there is absolutely no oil on the spark plugs, so it's not the rings. I decided to pull the valve cover to make sure it wasn't stuck valves. they seemed to work, but it looks like there was water in the oil. You know that milky white crap. So i'm thinking bad head gasket. Could a blown head gasket cause the above? Would I loose that much compression? Help me out here guys. I have a brand new head still sitting in the garage. I'd hate to have to do another motor swap. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT: Need help with my future daily driver\'s engin

IMO it could be a warped head if it's aluminum or a bad head gasket. Was there any coolant in the cylinders?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Well there wasn't any coolant on the spark plugs as far as i could tell. They were all very clean. Just the milky oil under the valve cap. The head is aluminum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off, the milky white stuff under the cap is perfectly normal in a lot of engines. Its a byproduct of combustion, pressure and moisture---don't worry unless the pistons are washed clean, or white smoke out the tailpipe (with a sickly sweet smell), or obvious oil/coolant contamination. You may not see it on the spark plugs, coolant can be burned,also...

Now, I've never worked on foreign cars, but sounds to me you'd better check inital cam/crank timing (esp if its a DOHC with a belt); all it takes is a tooth off for those kinda readings, providing:
1. The engine was put together correctly, or was running properly before hand, and..
2. The test procedures were done correctly and accurately

More info would be helpful for diagnosing, but I would start at square 1. Good Luck [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 03:34 PM

Keith, did you buy the engine from a yard? Did you hear it run? I'm wondering if it was any good in the first place. Also have you told this to whomever you bought it from?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I did buy this from a yard. I didn't hear it run. I'm sure I could take it back to them, but that is not something I want to do. It was a royal pain in the butt the first time. I'd rather swap heads with a new gasket. I'd also rather just scrap the whole project and eat the money I put into it rather than swap engines again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode