CJ - REbuilding 304, advance the timing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ - REbuilding 304, advance the timing?

im rebuilding my 304, and if im not mistaken, the timing is retarded 4 degrees from the factory. i am thinking about advancing it that 4 degrees when i dial in my cam. are there any bad things that could result from doing this? and how much power might i gain from this ? -- Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ - REbuilding 304, advance the timing?

Ok, very good question. Quite often there is confusion between spark timing and valve train timing / camshaft timing. You seen to have a good idea that what your wanting to do is advance the valve train timing / camshaft timing. The short version explaination of advancing the valve train timing / camshaft timing will shift the torque and horsepower performance to a slightly lower RPM. For example if the 304 has the camshaft installed to factory specs, and for example the let's say the the max torque is 310 Ft. Lbs @ 3800 RPM's and max horsepower is 265 at 4200 RPM's. Then let's say for example the valve train timing / camshaft timing is adavanced by 4 degrees a typical shift in performance would have still have the max torque at 310 Ft. Lbs @ but lowered to 3500 RPM's and the max horsepower would still be 265 but lowered to 3900 RPM's. I'm not an expert with the AMC 304, I more a Chevy 350 expert. Quite often, I'll install a Chevy 350 camshaft plus 2 degrees for pickup engines that usually do towing or mild 4X4 off-road use.
dave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ - REbuilding 304, advance the timing?

thanks dave, that was very helpful. so advancing the timing doesnt actually give you more power, just gives you the power when you need it, that makes sense. i was considering going with a 350/TH350 setup, but the adapter for the th350 to the dana 300 is 580 bucks! ouch. so im gonna stick with the 304 for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode