stalling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:42 PM
jeeper87

stalling

Hi guys I have an 87 Jeep Yj 4.2 litre automatic. Everytime I start my Jeep it stalls on me, I checked to the wires going to the fast idle solenoid and there dosn't seem to be any power there. I also took a jumper wire and placed one end on the positive post and the other to the solenoid and still nothing?? Any idea's how this could happen or what I can try to fix the situation? Any info appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeeper 87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Re: stalling

Is it a warm start problem, cold start problem or both? For cold starting, turn the key on and slightly press and release the gas pedal to set the choke, you shouldn't have to give it gas to start it. For warm start, press and hold the gas pedal 1/2 to 3/4 down while starting.

Fast idle is controled by the choke (and choke pull-off), fast idle cam and fast idle screw. I think what your calling the fast idle solenoid is really the Sole-Vac. I don't think the Sole-Vac will cause you to stall.

There is (or used to be) a good tutorial on the 4.2 carb system in the jeep tech section of off-road.com. It is a good source of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode