CJ - How To Mount Homemade Rock Sliders - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

CJ - How To Mount Homemade Rock Sliders

Okay, I made some homebuilt rock rails from 1.5"X3" 1/4" box tube, but Im not sure how I want to mount them.

Option 1: Weld out riggers (Same material attaching the rail to frame) to 1/4" plate and bolt to frame.

Option 2: Weld outriggers to frame (perminent install)

Option 3: Bolt outriggers on top of body mount frame brackets to act as 1.5" body lift.

Im also building a set for my buddies TJ, and he likes option 3, but I can find flaws in each set up.

Anyother options or comments?

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ - How To Mount Homemade Rock Sliders

I'd go with number one. But, I'm just curious. Why did you go with rails, aka nerf bars? What most of us are using in the rocks is heavy gauge angle iron on the body, some are reinforcing to the frame, but not totally necessary. Anything sticking out is just something else to hit and possibly get hung up on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Yea, we considered doing it that way, but I wanted something that stuck out past the body slightely so that I can use it to rotate around trees and such in the mud. I also wanted to use them as a step to get in and out for the wife and kids. I also considered cutting the lower body rocker panel to gain a few inches. When all is said and done, Im going to weld a piece of diamond plate to the rail and bolt it to the tub.

TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:19 PM
HO92YJ

how bout getting some T channel? i recently got some to do my rockers, but haven't gotten around to it yet. you get the angle iron, plus a step. just something else to think about
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else?
TJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 03:01 PM

Option 1. #2 makes removing damaged bars too difficult, and #3 risks breaking body mounts etc. when hit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 05:10 PM

I want to make some for my jeep. I am going to use a 3" square tube, the corners will be cut at angles. I don't have rocks,just trees and stumps, wife,kids. I will have the nerf bar out a few inches with some tread in the top for the wife and kids to use as a step. I was going to put on a 2" body lift so I will have more room for the bars. I will mount it up as high as I can and then put on the body lift. I will bolt them to the frame, so if I ever have to take them off I can.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Can't Get Enough

I like option #1 too. I had the misfortune of breaking a centering pin in a spring and the axle would move forward enough to hit the rock slider I made. It tore my tire up pretty good but I was able to unbolt it when I noticed it rubbing and finish riding that day (it wasn't hitting the body). This time around I am doing round tube and tapering it in well before the rear tires (but my body is a wee bit shorter than most peoples).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:05 PM
Kingsmedic

Option one! I loosely based mine on bulletproof mfg's and they work great!. I can lift both tires on one side off the ground with my high lift and they dont budge at all. I would recommend drilling the holes oversize and putting sleeves on the bolts to avoid some potential frame damage, Moiunt them with a little space between the top of the rail and the body. One of my friends put them up pretty tight to the body, and the body mounts flex enough to let the body hit the rails and make a really annoying "thump".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode