All - Winch mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

All - Winch mounts

I plan on getting a winch soon and want to design a bumper/winch mount. Would there be any benefit if the front of the winch was tilted up slightly? I plan on bolting from the front, top, bottom, and sides of the mount. If the winch front is tilted up the stress would be disributed more evenly to the top and front bolts(more downward force)? I want to try and have the mount above the frame so would 1/2" plate be overkill on the frame side? Also grade 5 or 8 for hardware(5 will bend 8 will shear)? Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Antin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Re: All - Winch mounts

Don't know about the angled winch mount, but on the bolt thing - grade 8 bolts are stronger then grade 5 bolts. Period.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 06:21 AM

1/2" plate is overkill. There's no reason to use a plate that's four times thicker than what it's fastened to.

The amount of force that can be applied to the mount is limited by the strength of the cable. After the winch mount is that strong, anything more is wasted. Of course, you want to add a generous safety factor, but there's no reason to go overboard.

As for tilting the winch, I doubt it would make a significant difference one way or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 06:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I like your stress theory, but this is assuming you will always be pulling from a straight line to the winch fairlead. If you pull up a hill, you will already be at a tilted back angle (line to winch relation), if you are pulling yourself out of a hole, the line will be pulling against the top roller of the fairlead...even if your winch is tipped back a bit. I wouldn't worry about the angle.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

So 1/4" would be strong enough? How about the bolts. I was going to use a mix of grade 5 and 8(8 in the front- striaght pull and 5 on the side where the shear load would be the most)?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:37 AM

Here's an interesting link showing the tensile and shear strength for different sizes of grade 8 hardware. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.hobson.com.au/class_8.htm>http://www.hobson.com.au/class_8.htm</a>

I wouldn't use grade 5 on a winch mount, based on the specs listed in the link above, a 1/2" G8 bolt has a shear strength of about 17,000 lb/ft. If you're winching something that's 34,000lbs (2 bolts on the side, I assume) then you're going to need a much bigger winch and a 5 ton truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Good link. Thanks.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 02:44 PM

One thing to keep in mind with grade 8 bolts is that they are less fatigue-resistant than lower grade bolts. That shouldn't be a factor in a winch mount - your joints should be held by friction - but keep it in mind when you design the mount. It's best to make your connections either friction or compression.

And 1/4" is plenty stout if it's used right. I put up a post titled "The Zen of winch design" a few weeks ago. It might not apply directly to your winch, but you can see how the loads are passed from the winch drum to the frame.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 03:35 PM

I bought a Ramsey winch mount from Rosser for my 8000 pound winch. It is made up of grade 5 bolts and 1/4" plate. It is much stronger than the material it is bolted to and the grd 5 bolts are plenty strong for what you are going to use them for. I have winched the jeep in just about every angle and condition you can think of and the set up has never flinched.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Veteran

I just built a bumper and winch mounted for my Platinum 9500. I used 3/8" plate for the the mount because I had a nice scrap piece laying around at work. I bolted it with four bolts on each side and welded it to the frame. The weld was mainly so it would be very hard to steal! By the way the winch is only mounted to the winch plate with the four 3/8" grade 5 bolts that were supplied with the winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode