2.5" Superlift 1" Body= 33" Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.5\" Superlift 1\" Body= 33\" Tires

My stock 83 CJ7 w/ a 258 is getting new tires this weekend along with a lift. I'm currently running with 31" tires. Will a 2.5" Superlift and a 1" body lift give it enough clearance off road? It's my daily driver but I go wheelin as much as possible. Articulation is a must. The tires to be are 33 BFG Muds. Any and all opinions are greatly appriciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 11:40 PM
BigMan

Re: 2.5\" Superlift 1\" Body= 33\" Tires

That migt be a litle snug.I'v seen 33x12.5's on a jeepp with only a 2.5" lift but they were so tight i dont think he could hit a speed bump. You might need 2" body but if you use something narrower than a 12.5 then they might fit. Ordinarily i say 4" lift for 33x12.5" tires

<marquee>--JEEP-- Anything Else Is Spare Parts.....</marquee>

Al
My web page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stick with your original plan. If they are too tight, swap in a set of TJ flairs. The other post did have a good point about tire width, if you run 33x10.50 instead of 33x12.50 you'll have less problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:28 AM

I have a 2.5" superlift, .5" lift shackles (MORE), and a 2" bodylift. 33"x12.5" fit with plenty of room to spare. The 2" body lift was already on the Jeep when I bought it otherwise I would have gone with 1", but the 33's should fit with the 1" too.
I'm actually going to drop my body lift down an inch when I get the chance.
I have narrow track axles and my tires tuck inside the fenders nicely. I think yours might be wide tracks so you will want to check on the clearence there too.

'79 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 2-1/2" Rancho, 1" MORE body, and Confer 5/8" shackles. My 83CJ7 with 32BFG MT's rubbed the rear corner of the rear wheel-well before I got the body lift. My friend has 33's on his 84CJ7 and his rubbed the front corner with the body lift Which is a little harder to trim. Another friend has the same as you are about to try on his 82CJ7 and it works fine, so I think it is going to be a try and see experience. My next set of tires will be 33's.

Pete 83CJ7,4.2MPI,T18,all locked up
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aargh. Look at my post from earlier this week, I have been running 33x12.50s with a 2.5" lift and a 1" MORE body lift for a long time.
Clears just fine at FULL articulation with the swaybar DISCONNECTED. Just watch your wheel offset/backspacing so the tire doesn't
hit your fender lip. And yes, my axles are widetrack. And no this setup won't work on a YJ, not quite enough lift, need 4".

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

creeper: Feeling a little frustrated?????????????
My plan is to add a 1" body lift and TJ flairs to a YJ with a 1.5" Rancho lift and run 35x14.50 Boggers. Do you think they rub? HaHaHaHaHa

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Creeper, it'll work. I've got the same setup your talking about and have no problems, but I do have the narrow track axles. Also the type of 33x12.50 may be an issue. My 33x12.50 Swamper radials are a lot narrower tire than say Swapmer 33x12.5 bias. My SS radials are actually narrower than my old 32x11.50s. If your worried about trying to stay inside your wheel wells with the 33s then consider the 33x12.5 Swamper radials. I have 33 Dick Cepek muds on my CJ8 wide track, and they aint staying under the flares too well. Just a few thoughts.
Shain

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 12:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Relax dudes, the guy was asking a legit question. How about mentioning some other points. Do you have a hard top? Winch in front? Swing away tire carrier with another 33 on it and a hi lift and a gas can or 2? All that stuff weighs a Jeep down and can make that 4" lift be a 3" lift pretty quick, or make a 2.5" lift be a 1.5" lift pretty quick. Then give the lift a year or 2 of wheeling and see how much it relaxes (and they all do).

Pete.

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about being a little testy. It's just that this issue has come up about 25 times on the old board and this one in the last several
months. But, it is a vey legitimate question, and it will be asked again.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode