VIRUS making the rounds with BBS users... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

VIRUS making the rounds with BBS users...

Important - Please Read
An email virus referred to as "W32/[email protected]" is currently circulating the Web. The email is typically 120-150KB in size, with vague subject lines, and contains little or no text. For more information regarding this virus,
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/
I've been sent this virus twice by BBS users in the last 3 days, so it's making the rounds between BBS users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 03:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: VIRUS making the rounds with BBS users...

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

When run, the worm creates a copy of itself in the Windows system folder called KRN132.EXE and creates a registry run key to load itself at startup:

<hr></blockquote>

The only sure fire way to avoid having problems after receiving this virus is to..........

BUY APPLE!!!!!!

.EXE files don't run on Macs People.
90% of computer hackers attack Windows based operating systems. I have been running Mac OS now for over ten years and HAVE NEVER BEEN ATTACKED BY A VIRUS OR HACKER.

Sorry couldn't resist.

my 2˘

mrmacrro
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My wife's e-mail account has been receiveing tons of bounced messages reporting that she has the Klez virus, and that the messages she is sending are infected. The infected messages you are receiving are probably not from the person on the From: line.

Here is how Klez works:

If you receive a Klez-infected email, the address on the From or Reply To lines is NOT the one that sent it to you. Likewise, if somebody accuses you of sending Klez to them, it's quite possible you (and your computer) are not guilty.

When Klez infects a computer it gathers all the email addresses it can find on that computer and secretly sends infected messages to all but one of those addresses. Klez places that one, randomly chosen, address in the From of all those outgoing messages so that it will be difficult to determine where the messages really are From, and some innocent person will be wrongly accused.

Many corporate virus protection programs (such as KU's Antigen) capture incoming or outgoing infected email and then automatically send a message to both the intended recipient and the sender accusing the sender of having an infected computer. Klez fools these virus protection programs, as well. Since the sender listed in the From line of a Klez-infected email is NOT the real sender, these protection programs mistakenly accuse innocent people of sending Klez.

Viruses Suck.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 07:43 AM

How do I know if this virus is on my computer?....I searched , and didn't find anything, but I might not have put the right name in. I also ran my Norton antivirus program, and it said I didn't have a virus.....I am running windows xp....thanks, Ben
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The Qtec board had the same problems a couple of weeks ago and i think it was ozark that posted something here also a couple of weeks ago.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:27 AM
Way Outta Control

As stated, most viruses are Windows based. Also they are written to Microsoft stuff, like Explorer. Netscape doesn't have problems with viruses. In fact, you can't even buy a virus program that will support Netscape - they all work with Explorer. Strange? Is there a message there?

Soooo - that really makes me wonder who's really behind all these viruses - if they weren't so prevalent, nobody would be buying virus protection from Bill Gates. He's already proven to be a flake by releasing stuff that isn't finished and trying to illegally supress competition.

If he has me killed for saying that you'll know for sure.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:34 AM

yeah I had the same thing happengin as Tom for a week or so, I called My ISP and grilled them, since I knew my mahcine was OFFLINE, and powered DOWN several of the times the emails were suposedly sent FROM me.

Update your virus definitions, and run teh damn scans on all emails in and out, and deep scan the system at least once per week!

Ihavent had one sent to me in a while, I knew it was from someone on this BBS though because I recognized some of the other email addresses!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 08:36 AM

oh yeha, here is the post I started on teh same problem earlier this month, maybe some good info there

<a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&amp;N umber=768412&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&am p;vc=1>http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadjeepshort&amp;N umber=768412&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&am p;vc=1</a>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 09:00 AM
BigMan

Ya, I JUST got one. Subject said"run in doss" I'v also been getting buged about the klez thing for a few months now. I know I don't have it. I only have a laptop and it's in a bag most of the time I'm getting returned mail. I went years with nothing. all of a sudden my antivirus is catching one a week in the email.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

I get messages from two bbs users nearly every day that are infected.
I assume that every day when they boot up or get online the virus replicates, but I'm not sure exactly how these things work....

I've notified the senders, one claims he has the latest, greatest virus protection (doesn't help if you don't update your definitions) and swore it couldn't be him...
(just got another one from him this morning...)

And the other did a proper virus scan and found he was infected, apologized profusely, and promised to stop using Micro-crap mail... (a VERY good idea...)

My box is clean, and my definitions updated.

Debate this to death, but the warning still stands...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode