carter bbd idle tubes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

carter bbd idle tubes

I've got the typical carter problem of stalling on decel, and I want to check my idle pickup tubes
(that's what my Chiltons manual calls them}, and stepper motor. It describes their removal while
talking about a complete rebuild. Can I remove them without any dismantling of the carb?
Also, I have a crack in my exhaust manifold, just downstream from the O2 sensor. Could air get
sucked in with backpressure while in decel and affect the O2 reading, causing me to stall? The engine
is starved for fuel when I start it again. Idle screw is cranked almost all the way in.
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-28-1999, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: carter bbd idle tubes

It's actually pretty easy. First check it out by looking down the carb with the engine idling, if there is a problem with the tubes, u will see a slow dripping from the venturi. Then, Remove choke plate, look down carb, and remove screw holding down venturi, pull venturi straight up, and clean tubes real good with carb cleaner and wire. Re-install, and start her up.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 02:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Make sure you dont blow out the check ball that remains in the carb after removing the venturies/idle tubes. If it falls in the carb and you start the motor you wont have to worry about your dirty carb anymore! If the crack in your manifold is sucking in air on decel (it shouldn't...there is still positive pressure in the exhaust system) then your O2 sensor would read a lean condition, causing the carb to go rich. Hope this helps!

<font color=red>Mike H.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 07:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bodiak...
Please let me know what you find. I'm in the exact same situation, but I've already checked the venturi tubes..My question was whether or not the O2 sensor, If not functioning properly, could cause the same problem (stalling at every stop light). I also had a crack in my intake, and was able to pick up a used (and guaranteed) from All-American Auto Salvage in Rahway, NJ. I've been stuck on this problem for days....my idle screw is all the way in, and when the engine does decide to idle it does so at about 1700 RPM.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can't always see the dripping fuel, sometimes it just streams down the side of the carb. Sometimes you will only
see the fuel when you hit the throttle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-29-1999, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Seems like everyone must have seen this already, but just in case...

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode