CJ--Need ignition wiring help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

CJ--Need ignition wiring help

I am trying to find out why I am not getting spark to my igntion system on my 86 cj7 with an amc 360 and TR upgrade....I am just installing the engine and ignition upgrade, so I have not had it fired up yet to know if will work or not. The problem I am having is no power to the connector to the distributor. I have almost 12 volts coming out of the bulkhead on the firewall going into the duraspark module. I looked at TR's wiring diagram, and it shows the purple and orange wires going from the distributor to the module....however, my jeep has these wires to the distributor, but they must change color or something because they don't go into the module that color anywhere. Can anyone tell me what color these wires would be going into the module?....from the distributor, they run into a big wire bulk along the firewall, and I really don't want to cut that up if I don't have to. would it mean my module is bad if I am not gettin power to the dist?....the coil is not getting power, either. Does current flow thru the coil, then the distributor?....thanks for the help, and sorry for the simpleton questions, I have never done anyhting like this before and am just stuck right now!!!....any help would be appreciated!!!.....Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Old Hand

Re: CJ--Need ignition wiring help

If all else fails, take apart your wiring harness and track down each wire between the ignition module and distributor.

If you have to do major surgery, it might help to re-locate the ignition module to the passenger side fender, making it easier to wire it up to the coil and distributor.

LEVE included these 2 images in a post last week with this same issue.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

thanks, sloop!!.....I have a test light and voltmeter....how could I check to see if my module is good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 11:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Take the module to your local parts store. Autozone/O'reilly test modules for free.

Later,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 11:22 AM
Way Outta Control

If you are using a pickup coil in the distributor I don't think you'll see any voltage there at the distributor wires. They generate pulses when the distributor turns, but don't get anything from the module. The signal is out, not in.
Crank it, see if you get spark.
You should have +12 on the + side of the coil, (-) side will be near 12 volts as well unless engine's running.

Another little trick you can do, wire a seat belt buzzer to 12 volts, place it directly on top of the pickup coil, with the key on. The magnetic field around the buzzer will trigger the module - sparks like crazy.

And - have someone cycle the key on and off but don't crank it, - while you hold the coil wire. If it knocks you across the room, it's working. Just kidding - don't - but it will spark upon key off.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

what would cause no voltage at the coil?...I don't have any volts on the positve or negative side of the coil...I tried Leve's suggestion with the extra plug wire and spark plug grounded to the block, so I know I am not getting spark there, just not sure what trail to follow to see why i am not getting spark...thanks again, Ben
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 02:39 PM
Old Hand

CJBEN, you say you are not getting any voltage at the + or - side of the coil.

You should have +12v at the + side when the ignition is on. To test this, put your red (+) voltmeter probe to the + side of the coil, and the black (-) probe to ground. If you are not getting voltage, then you have a problem in your wiring from the ignition switch to the coil. Do not test the voltage to the coil simply by connecting the probes to the + and - side of the coil.

The ignition module connects the - side of the coil to the ground intermittently, that is how it creates spark. If you put a test light between the - side of the coil and a positive wire, then you should see it go on and off as you turn the engine.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks, sloop!!....I DO have voltage at the coil now (may not have been checking it right before)....would I check for voltage at the 3 prong connector going to the distributor the same way? The connector with the purple, orange and black wires? thanks again for your help!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I checked for voltage at the dist connector, and I have voltage there now....will see if I have spark to the plugs after the battery charges for a few minutes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

ok...still no spark at the plugs. I did a continuity test on the coil, and it passed. Is there a better way to check a coil? voltage goes from the coil to the distributor, right?...why else wouldn't I be getting spark to the plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode